Analyzing $f(z) = e^{-\frac{1}{z}}$: Analytic Region & Derivative

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative and identifying the maximal region for the function $f(z) = e^{-\frac{1}{z}}$. The derivative, $f'(z) = \frac{e^{-\frac{1}{z}}}{z^2}$, is found using the Cauchy-Riemann Conditions and the function is shown to be analytic on the complex plane minus the origin. The reason for finding the derivative is to show that the function is infinitely differentiable and smoothly continuous, except at $z=0$, making it analytic everywhere except at $z=0$. The maximal region for which the function is analytic is the complex plane minus the origin, as it cannot be extended analytically
ognik
Given $ f(z) = e^{-\frac{1}{z}} $, find f'(z) and identify the maximal region within which f(z) is analytic

I found \(\displaystyle f'(z) = \frac{e^{-\frac{1}{z}}}{z^2} \), is that right?

I think I should be using the Cauchy-Riemann Conditions to check if analytic, but this function is not in the form u+iv? A hint please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let $z = x+iy\not = 0$.

Verify $\frac{1}{z} = \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} - \frac{y}{x^2+y^2}i$ and use $e^{a+bi} = e^a(\cos b + i\sin b)$.
With that you can find the $u$ and $v$.

Thanks TPH, I followed that approach to get \(\displaystyle U= e^{-\frac{x}{x^2 + y^2}}Cos \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \) and \(\displaystyle V= e^{-\frac{x}{x^2 + y^2}} Sin \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \)

To do those 4 far-from-easy partial derivatives seems excessive for an exam question - which counts only 7%; also why did they ask to find the derivative of the function first? Is there not perhaps a simpler approach to the question?

ognik said:
Thanks TPH, I followed that approach to get \(\displaystyle U= e^{-\frac{x}{x^2 + y^2}}Cos \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \) and \(\displaystyle V= e^{-\frac{x}{x^2 + y^2}} Sin \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \)

To do those 4 far-from-easy partial derivatives seems excessive for an exam question - which counts only 7%; also why did they ask to find the derivative of the function first? Is there not perhaps a simpler approach to the question?

There is a simpler approach, but it does not use CR-equations. I was only doing it that way because I thought you wanted to see it by CR equation.

The easier method is that if $f(z)$ is analytic on an open set $U$ then $e^{f(z)}$ is analytic on that same set. If $g(z)$ is analytic on $U$ and not equal to zero at any point then $f(z)/g(z)$ is analytic on $U$ as well.

Pick $U$ to be the complex plane minus the origin. Choose $f(z) = -\frac{1}{z}$ and $g(z) = z^2$. Do you accept the fact that $f$ is analytic on $U$ and $g$ is analytic on $U$ and not equal to zero? Therefore, $e^{f(z)}/g(z)$ will be analytic on $U$.

Then we need to show that $U$ is maximal such region. The only region bigger than $U$ would be $\mathbb{C}$ itself by adjoining the origin to this larger region. So you need to give an argument why it is not possible to extend $e^{-1/z}/z^2$ analytically to the entiretly of the complex plane.

I would say that both f(z) and g(z) are differentiable and smooth, but have a singularity at z=0. I would conclude that they are analytic everywhere - which includes the complex plane - except at z=0?

I still don't see the reason we find f'(z) and thereby g(z)?

Thanks

Further to my previous point, I would say that we are asked to find the 1st derivative because if the function is infinitely identifiable and is smoothly continuous (except at z=0), then the function is analytic everywhere except at z=0.

Is this argument valid please?

Related to Analyzing $f(z) = e^{-\frac{1}{z}}$: Analytic Region & Derivative

1. What is the analytic region of the function f(z) = e^(-1/z)?

The analytic region of a function is the set of all points in the complex plane where the function is differentiable. In the case of f(z) = e^(-1/z), the analytic region is the entire complex plane, except for the point z = 0.

2. How do you find the derivative of f(z) = e^(-1/z)?

To find the derivative of f(z), we use the definition of the derivative in terms of limits. We can rewrite f(z) as e^(-1/z) = (1/e)^(1/z) and then use the chain rule to find the derivative, which is f'(z) = (1/e)^(1/z) * (-1/z^2).

3. What is the value of the derivative of f(z) = e^(-1/z) at z = 0?

The derivative of f(z) at z = 0 is undefined, as the function is not differentiable at this point. This can also be seen from the fact that the derivative contains a term of 1/z^2, which is undefined at z = 0.

4. What is the behavior of f(z) = e^(-1/z) as z approaches infinity?

As z approaches infinity, f(z) approaches 0. This can be seen from the fact that e^x approaches 0 as x approaches negative infinity, and in the case of f(z), x = -1/z. Additionally, we can use the limit definition of the derivative to show that f'(z) also approaches 0 as z approaches infinity.

5. How does the graph of f(z) = e^(-1/z) look like?

The graph of f(z) is a non-analytic function, meaning it is not defined at z = 0. However, for values close to 0, the graph has a large spike, with the function rapidly approaching 0 as z approaches infinity. The graph also has a series of smaller spikes, getting closer and closer together as z approaches 0 from both the positive and negative direction.