Analyzing Cyclic Subgroups in S6

• Thread starter Kate2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary: And you are correct, the order of the group would be 9, which is not equal to the order of any of its elements, so it is non-cyclic. In summary, the question is asking to determine whether a subgroup of S6, generated by two elements, is cyclic. To solve this problem, one can use Lagrange's theorem and general facts about cyclic groups. By computing the order of the elements and checking for commutativity, it can be determined that the subgroup is non-cyclic.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

I have to determine whether some groups are cyclic. The first is the subgroup of S6 generated by (1 2 3)(4 5 6) and (1 2)(2 5)(3 6)

Homework Equations

Lagrange's Theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to tackle this problem. I have only posted (i) as I'm hoping that after I get to grips with how to go about answering it, I will be able to figure the rest out on my own. The question advises to use general facts rather than elaborate calculations.

I think o[(1 2 3)(4 5 6)] = 3 and o[(1 2)(3 4)(5 6)] = 2, therefore would the order of the subgroup generated by them be 6? I may have completely made that up. I don't think I even know what it means by the subgroup generated by them.

Also, I'm unsure of what general facts about being cyclic I'm meant to be using.

Sorry about all the confusion in this post. I'm currently feeling very out of my depth with this module. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You say the subgroup is generated by (1 2 3)(4 5 6) and (1 2)(2 5)(3 6) but then you compute the order (correctly) of (1 2)(3 4)(5 6), which has a different order than (1 2)(2 5)(3 6).

Some general thoughts: an element of order 2 and an element of order 3 may not generate a group of order 6. However, by Lagrange's theorem the group they generate will have to be divisible by 2 and 3 (and therefore 6). One thing you know about cyclic groups is that they are abelian. So if the generators don't commute then the group can't be cyclic. The only other way I can think of is to find all the elements of the group and see if there is one that has the same order as the group (which would imply that that element generates the group, i.e. the group is cyclic).

Thanks, so I think that group is non-abelian hence non-cyclic.

If a group (again a subset of S6) is generated by (1 2 3) and (4 5 6), then I think it contains e, (1 2 3), (1 3 2), (4 5 6), (4 6 5)

Does it also contain, for example, (1 2 3)(4 5 6) and the other compositions of the above cycles that are disjoint? If so, then there would be an extra 4 elements, the order of G would be 9, yet the order of all elements is either 3 or 6, so it's non-cyclic?

Kate2010 said:
If a group (again a subset of S6) is generated by (1 2 3) and (4 5 6), then I think it contains e, (1 2 3), (1 3 2), (4 5 6), (4 6 5)

Does it also contain, for example, (1 2 3)(4 5 6) and the other compositions of the above cycles that are disjoint? If so, then there would be an extra 4 elements, the order of G would be 9, yet the order of all elements is either 3 or 6, so it's non-cyclic?

Yes, it also must contain elements like (1 2 3)(4 5 6) since it has to be closed under the operation.

Related to Analyzing Cyclic Subgroups in S6

What is a cyclic subgroup?

A cyclic subgroup is a subset of a group that is generated by a single element. This means that all elements in the subgroup can be obtained by repeatedly applying the group operation to the generating element.

How do you analyze cyclic subgroups in S6?

To analyze cyclic subgroups in S6, we first need to understand that S6 is the symmetric group on 6 elements, meaning it consists of all possible permutations of these 6 elements. We can then identify the elements in S6 that generate cyclic subgroups and analyze their properties and relationships within the group.

What is the order of a cyclic subgroup in S6?

The order of a cyclic subgroup in S6 is equal to the number of elements in the subgroup. This number can vary depending on the generating element, but it will always be a divisor of the order of the entire group, which is 720 for S6.

Can cyclic subgroups in S6 be isomorphic?

Yes, cyclic subgroups in S6 can be isomorphic. This means that they have the same structure and properties, even if they are generated by different elements. For example, the cyclic subgroup generated by (1 2)(3 4) is isomorphic to the cyclic subgroup generated by (1 3)(2 4).

How can analyzing cyclic subgroups in S6 be useful?

Analyzing cyclic subgroups in S6 can help us understand the group structure and relationships between different elements. It can also be useful in solving problems and making predictions about the behavior of certain elements in the group.