Analyzing Customer Product Purchases Using Venn Diagrams and Basic Probability

• Thread starter InPhase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, a salesperson with a three-product line made 200 customer visits, resulting in the following orders: 100 for product A, 95 for product B, 85 for product C, 50 for products A and B, 55 for products A and C, 30 for products B and C, and 20 for all three products. The number of customers who ordered at least one product is 200, the number of customers who ordered no products is 0, the number of customers who ordered exactly one product is 80, the number of customers who ordered exactly two products is 45, and the number of customers who ordered all three products is 20. By labeling the Venn diagram and considering the information
InPhase

Homework Statement

A salesperson with a three-product line calls on 200 customers over a period of time. These 200 customers place orders as follows:

100 ordered product A
95 ordered product B
85 ordered product C
50 ordered products A and B
55 ordered products A and C
30 ordered products B and C
20 ordered products A, B, and C

Determine the number of customers who order: (a) at least one product, (b) no products, (c) exactly one product, (d) exactly two products, (e) exactly three products.

Use a venn diagram to illustrate...

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a venn diagram showing the overlaps in the product purchases. I also took the ratios between the number of products to the customers, e.g. [tex] 100/200, 95/200, 85/200[/tex] etc. But I have no idea how to apply these to get the answers. I just guessed that those ratios would be significant somehow. This comes from a worksheet, but the textbook is only covering set theory. We haven't discussed this in class either, so I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're over-complicating it. If you've managed to draw the Venn diagram, you've done everything you need. The question is only asking for numbers of people who bought x products, so all you need to do is work out which areas of the Venn diagram correspond to "ordered one or more products" (etc) and add up the numbers in those areas.

Sometimes shading the diagram is helpful to keep track of your thinking. Draw a copy for each question and scribble out (careful not to go outside the lines!) areas that don't contribute to the number you are currently calculating.

Or begin labeling the Venn Diagram with counts for each group: start with the most restrictive information (all three) first.

Thank you both for the response! I have labeled the diagram according to the information given in the problem, however, I am stuck when it comes to coaxing out the answers to the questions. For example, 20 customers ordered all three products, but since the total number of orders exceeds the number of total customers, I can't figure out how to determine how many ordered exactly one, or zero, products etc. It seems to me there is information missing from the problem, but that is just guessing.

Read the question carefully. What it does not say is just as important as what it does.

For example, it says 30 people ordered B and C. It does not say that 30 people ordered B and C and not A. Can you figure out how many people ordered B and C and not A?

Related to Analyzing Customer Product Purchases Using Venn Diagrams and Basic Probability

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected through experimentation or observation.

4. How does probability relate to statistics?

Probability is an important concept in statistics, as it helps us understand the likelihood of events and make predictions based on data. Probability is used to calculate measures such as mean, standard deviation, and correlation in statistical analysis.

5. Can probability be used to predict future events?

While probability can help us make predictions, it cannot guarantee the outcome of future events. This is because probability is based on chance and uncertainty, and there are always factors that can influence the outcome of an event. However, probability can provide valuable insights and guide decision making in various fields such as finance, economics, and science.