Analyzing Canon Ball's Height & Acceleration Over Time

In summary, Projectile motion is not based on triangles, but rather on the concept of a projectile being launched with an initial velocity and then experiencing only the force of gravity. The acceleration in the y direction is -9.8 m/s^2, but the initial velocity and height are needed to determine the exact path of the projectile. The vertical velocity will be zero at 1/2t, and a greater angle will result in a greater time in the air. When fired from the same cannon, all projectiles will fall to the ground at the same time, but the vertical velocity will vary depending on the angle of launch.
jadiepants

Homework Statement

A canon ball is fired from a canon upwards at an angle above the horizontal.

a. Sketch a graph showing the height of this canon ball over time if it was fired at 30°, 45° and 60° above the horizontal.
b. Sketch showing the acceleration of the canon ball over time if it was fired at 30°, 45° and 60° above the horizontal.
c. At what point in the flight of the canon ball is the velocity at a minimum?

Homework Equations

h*sin(angle) = hy
h*cos(angle) = hx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have sketched 3 triangles but how do I work out the components with just an angle? Or is there another way of doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
- projectile motion isn't triangles
- once launched, what's the only force on the projectile? therefore the acceleration is?
- at what point in time will the vertical velocity be zero?

Ush said:
- projectile motion isn't triangles
- once launched, what's the only force on the projectile? therefore the acceleration is?
- at what point in time will the vertical velocity be zero?

- I'm under the impression that a canon ball being fired is projectile

- the acceleration in the y direction is -9.8, but what use is that when I don't know the initial velocity or how high it goes?

- I don't know when it will be zero because I don't have any other information.

If I'm doing it wrong please just say so.

jadiepants said:
- I'm under the impression that a canon ball being fired is projectile

- the acceleration in the y direction is -9.8, but what use is that when I don't know the initial velocity or how high it goes?

- I don't know when it will be zero because I don't have any other information.

If I'm doing it wrong please just say so.

-Therefore your acc'n -time graph will be a straight line.
-A greater angle (from 0 - 90) represents a greater time in the air. (as well as greater height achieved) (why?)
-therefore, you can use relative times.

-you can assume each projectile has the same initial velocity, Vo because it was fired from the same cannon
-vertical velocity is zero at 1/2t

thank you so much :)

another hint:

If you fire a cannon ball with the following velocities for ex:
Vy = 10, Vx = 10
Vy = 10, Vx = 100
Vy = 10, Vx = 10000
ALL will fall to the ground at the SAME time.

You're Vy, however, is changing because the cannon fires at the same initial velocity. You have to break that initial velocity into its components. You can safely ignore the x-component. A greater angle = A greater Vy component = A greater time in the air.

hope that helps
~Ush

Related to Analyzing Canon Ball's Height & Acceleration Over Time

1. What is the purpose of analyzing Canon Ball's height and acceleration over time?

The purpose of analyzing Canon Ball's height and acceleration over time is to understand the motion and forces acting on the object. This can help in predicting the future trajectory of the object and determining the factors that affect its motion.

2. How is the height of the canon ball measured?

The height of the canon ball can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. The position of the canon ball at specific time intervals can also be recorded using a video camera and measuring the distance between the starting point and the ball's position at each interval.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of the canon ball?

The acceleration of the canon ball can be affected by various factors such as the force applied to the ball, the mass of the ball, air resistance, and the angle at which the ball is launched.

4. How can the data from analyzing Canon Ball's height and acceleration over time be used?

The data from analyzing Canon Ball's height and acceleration over time can be used to create a graph or mathematical model to represent the motion of the object. This can be used to make predictions about the object's future motion and to analyze the factors that affect its trajectory.

5. What are some limitations of analyzing Canon Ball's height and acceleration over time?

Some limitations of analyzing Canon Ball's height and acceleration over time may include human error in measuring or recording data, external factors that may affect the object's motion (such as wind or friction), and the assumption of a uniform gravitational pull, which may not be accurate in all situations.