Analyzing a Rotating Rod with a Sliding Bead

In summary, a small bead of mass m slides along a frictionless rod rotating at a constant rate of f revolutions per second. The displacement of the bead as a function of time is given by r(t) = A1e^(bt) + A2e^(-bt), where r is measured from the axis of rotation. The constant b is equal to the angular frequency ω of the rotation, which can be expressed as 2πf. The constants A1 and A2 can be determined by the initial displacement of the bead at t=0.
ShEeRMiLiTaNt

Homework Statement

A small bead of mass m is free to slide along a long, thin rod without any friction. The rod rotates in a horizontal plane about a vertical axis passing through its end at a constant rate of f revolutions per second. Show that the displacement of the bead as a function of time is given by r(t)=A1ebt +A2e–bt , where r is measured from the axis of rotation. Find the expression for the constant b. Also, how would you determine the constants A1 and A2?

Homework Equations

L=rp

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this has to do with Angular momentum and torque but I don't know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is done quite easily if you transform to the (non-inertial) rotating frame of the bead. Suppose you are sitting on the bead. What you write down for Newton's 2nd Law?

kuruman said:
This problem is done quite easily if you transform to the (non-inertial) rotating frame of the bead. Suppose you are sitting on the bead. What you write down for Newton's 2nd Law?

F = ma = mw^2r
where w = 2pif ?

Last edited:
Correct. Now write Newton's 2nd law as a differential equation and solve it.

let u = tangential velocity
let v = radial velocity = [itex]\omega[/itex] r

dv/dt = [itex]\omega[/itex] dr/dt

at = du/dt = d/dt([itex]\omega[/itex]r) = [itex]\omega[/itex] dr/dt
ar = d^2r/dt^2 = dv/dt= ([itex]\omega[/itex]^2)r

so
[itex]\omega[/itex] dr/dt = [itex]\omega[/itex]^2 r
dr/dt = [itex]\omega[/itex] r
or
dr/r = [itex]\omega[/itex] dt
ln r = [itex]\omega[/itex] dt + c'
r = e^([itex]\omega[/itex]t + e^c') = C e^[itex]\omega[/itex]t
that is the radius versus time and C is the initial radius at t = 0

theta = theta at t =0 +[itex]\omega[/itex]t = To + [itex]\omega[/itex] t
for simplicity call To = 0
so
theta = [itex]\omega[/itex] t9
or R = C e^[itex]\omega[/itex]t (A1 cos [itex]\omega[/itex]t + A2 sin [itex]\omega[/itex]t)
where A1 and A2 depend on the theta at t = 0

Is that correct?

It is not correct. You are supposed to get exponentials, not sines and cosines. Why don't you start with Newton's Second Law as you wrote it down, cancel the masses on each side, move everything to the left side so that you have in the radial direction
[itex]\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-\omega^2r=0[/itex]
That's the diff. eq. to solve.

ok so
[itex]\omega[/itex] = sqrt(a/r)

d^2r/dt^2 = a^2/r

?

I guess you have not taken a course on differential equations. So time for plan B. What if you take the expression for r(t) as given by the problem and substitute it in the differential equation. If r(t) is indeed a solution, you should end up with 0 = 0.

kuruman said:
I guess you have not taken a course on differential equations. So time for plan B. What if you take the expression for r(t) as given by the problem and substitute it in the differential equation. If r(t) is indeed a solution, you should end up with 0 = 0.

Right you are i am still unaware of differential equations, i don't get what you're trying to get me to do here you want me to plug in r(t)=A1ebt +A2e–bt into d^2r/dt^2 = [itex]\omega[/itex]^2r? Do i have to take the double derivative of r(t) first?

Yes, take the double derivative first and then see if it is equal to ω2r. If it isn't, what must be true so that it is? This may sound confusing, but do take the double derivative and, if you don't see what is going on, we'll take it from there.

ok so i took the double derivative and it equals
r"(t) = A1b2ebt+A2b2e-bt

whats next boss?

Like I said, is this equal to ω2r? If it isn't, what must be true so that it is?

kuruman said:
Like I said, is this equal to ω2r? If it isn't, what must be true so that it is?

I don't get how those equal zero, none of the values cancel out, wouldn't i need another equation that relates some of the values in order to be able to cancel them out?

ShEeRMiLiTaNt said:
ok so i took the double derivative and it equals
r"(t) = A1b2ebt+A2b2e-bt

whats next boss?
Suppose you factor b2 that appears in both terms on the right. What does the equation become then?

b2(A1ebt+A2e-bt)= [itex]\omega[/itex]2r

b2(A1ebt+A2e-bt)= [itex]\omega[/itex]2(A1ebt+A2e-bt)

b2= [itex]\omega[/itex]2

this is where i am stuck how do i prove 0 = 0?

Last edited:
As Kuruman is temporary absent I take his role over :smile:.

You arrived to b22. That means the constant b has to be equal to the angular frequency ω of the rotation. If it is so the function r(t) =A1 ebt+A2e-bt is the displacement as function of time along the length of the rod.
You need to write up ω in terms of f, revolutions per second.

ehild

ehild said:
As Kuruman is temporary absent I take his role over :smile:.

Thank you very very much!

ehild said:
You arrived to b22. That means the constant b has to be equal to the angular frequency ω of the rotation. If it is so the function r(t) =A1 ebt+A2e-bt is the displacement as function of time along the length of the rod.
You need to write up ω in terms of f, revolutions per second.

ehild

so [itex]\omega[/itex]= 2[itex]\pi[/itex]f? Do i plug that back into r(t)?

The problem asked to show that the function is really the displacement. You have proved that it is, with the condition that b=2πf. It is enough.

You need to say something about the constants A1 and A2. What do you think?

ehild

ehild said:
The problem asked to show that the function is really the displacement. You have proved that it is, with the condition that b=2πf. It is enough.
I am not sure why this is...why is b so important that we had to relate it to [itex]\omega[/itex] just to show that is the position function

ehild said:
You need to say something about the constants A1 and A2. What do you think?

ehild

Any ways...ummm good question would these be something like this?

2[itex]\pi[/itex]ft(A1-A2)?

What are those "these" which are equal to 2πft(A1-A2)?

ehild

r(t) but is that right?

thanks again

No,

r(t)=A1e2πft+A2e-2πft.

Think. Where is the bead initially, at t=0? What is its initial velocity? How the initial position and velocity are related to A1 and A2?

ehild

ok so the position of the bead initially is simply

r(0) = A1+A2 because e0= 1

then
v(0) = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]f(A1+A2)

is v(0) = 0 so that i can find one of the A's?

Last edited:
ShEeRMiLiTaNt said:
ok so the position of the bead initially is simply

r(0) = A1+A2 because e0= 1

then
v(0) = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]f(A1+A2)

is v(0) = 0 so that i can find one of the A's?

You are right, r0=A1+A2. But 2[itex]\pi[/itex]f(A1+A2) is the tangential velocity. It is obvious that moving together with the rod, that component of the velocity is the same as the velocity of that point where the bead is. You can put the bead at any position on the rod, and can give it a push, an initial radial velocity v0, away from the centre or towards it. Find the radial velocity: dr/dt at t=0.

ehild

Last edited:

Related to Analyzing a Rotating Rod with a Sliding Bead

1. What is the purpose of analyzing a rotating rod with a sliding bead?

The purpose of analyzing a rotating rod with a sliding bead is to understand the behavior and motion of the bead as the rod rotates. This can provide insights into the principles of rotational motion and how different forces and variables affect the bead's movement.

2. What are the key variables that affect the motion of the bead on the rotating rod?

The key variables that affect the motion of the bead on the rotating rod include the length of the rod, the speed of rotation, the mass of the bead, and the coefficient of friction between the bead and the rod.

3. How does the angle of the rod's rotation affect the motion of the bead?

The angle of the rod's rotation can affect the motion of the bead by changing the direction and magnitude of the centripetal force acting on the bead. As the angle increases, the centripetal force also increases, causing the bead to move faster and farther away from the center of rotation.

4. What types of forces are acting on the bead as it slides along the rotating rod?

The main forces acting on the bead as it slides along the rotating rod are the normal force from the rod's surface, the weight of the bead, and the centripetal force from the rotation of the rod.

5. How can the results of analyzing a rotating rod with a sliding bead be applied in real-life situations?

The principles and equations used to analyze a rotating rod with a sliding bead can be applied to various real-life situations, such as understanding the motion of a rollercoaster or the rotation of a satellite in space. This analysis can also be used in designing and optimizing machines and structures that involve rotational motion.