Analyze Suspension Loads in Double Wishbone Push-Rod Design

In summary, the speaker has created a spreadsheet for analyzing loads in suspension members for a double wishbone suspension with a push-rod. The spreadsheet solves simultaneous equations and can also perform a torsion bar analysis. The speaker would like someone to review the spreadsheet for accuracy and is hoping to eventually incorporate features such as suspension movement and camber change. They have also mentioned using CATIA and MSc Adams for suspension kinematic movement. The spreadsheet is currently a work in progress and the speaker is open to receiving feedback on it.
Jonny6001
Hello, I have set-up a spreadsheet to analyze the loads in suspension members for a double wishbone suspension with a push-rod.
It solves simulataneous equations generated by summing forces and taking moments.
Would someone mind talking a look at the spreadsheet with the aim of checking it's done correctly please.

The spreadsheet will eventually do a lot of things for suspension design and concept work, it currently also does a torsion bar analysis so you can spec the torsion bar for a desired spring rate.

I would really like to look at how the suspension moves through ride-height and things like the camber change with ride, within the spreadsheet but I don't have the time to look into setting this up. I read a book a while ago which was very good at showing how to do this but it's a lot of work "Multibody Systems Approach to Vehicle Dynamics". For suspension kinematic movement, I use both CATIA and MSc Adams.

The work won't be a complete detailed analysis but more or a quick way of looking quickly at the consequences of a given change in the geometry, such as moving a pick-up point.

Thanks a lot for your time. I can send the spreadsheet to anyone who is willing to take a look at the work.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello, I have attached the excel workbook if anyone would like to pass any comments or check the work.

I have only just started it and it's not particularly high on my priority list at the moment, eventually it will work out composite and lay-up requirements for making the wishbones as well as a lot of other things.

The data and suspension geo are completely random at the moment, see how it works for your-own things if you like.

Thanks

Attachments

• Suspension_Design.xls
    46 KB · Views: 321

Related to Analyze Suspension Loads in Double Wishbone Push-Rod Design

What is a double wishbone push-rod suspension design?

A double wishbone push-rod suspension design is a type of suspension system commonly used in high-performance vehicles. It consists of two wishbone-shaped control arms connected to the wheel hub and the chassis, with a push-rod connecting the control arms to the shock absorber. This design allows for greater control and adjustability of the suspension system, resulting in improved handling and stability.

What are the main advantages of a double wishbone push-rod suspension design?

The main advantages of a double wishbone push-rod suspension design include improved handling and stability, enhanced control and adjustability, and reduced weight compared to other suspension systems. This design also allows for better tire contact with the road surface, resulting in improved traction and cornering performance.

How do you analyze suspension loads in a double wishbone push-rod design?

To analyze suspension loads in a double wishbone push-rod design, you will need to use various tools and techniques such as finite element analysis, computer-aided design, and physical testing. These methods can help determine the forces and stresses acting on the suspension components and ensure that they are strong enough to withstand the loads they will experience during use.

What factors can affect the suspension loads in a double wishbone push-rod design?

Some factors that can affect the suspension loads in a double wishbone push-rod design include the weight and speed of the vehicle, road conditions, and cornering and braking forces. The design of the suspension components, such as the length and angle of the control arms, can also impact the suspension loads.

How can suspension loads be optimized in a double wishbone push-rod design?

To optimize suspension loads in a double wishbone push-rod design, engineers can use computer simulations and physical testing to adjust the design of the suspension components. This can include changing the material, thickness, and shape of the components to improve their strength and reduce weight. Additionally, tuning the suspension system can also help to optimize the loads and improve overall performance.