Pattern description: powers of a negative number

• MHB
  • Thread starter samir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Negative
In summary: So it's a piece-wise relation, too. ;)In summary, the pattern given is that the power of a negative number is positive for even exponents and negative for odd exponents, which can be concisely described using mathematical notation and symbols as $(-1)^{2k} = 1$ and $(-1)^{2k+1} = -1$ where $k$ is an integer, or $(-1)^n = \begin{cases}1&\text{if $n$ even} \\ -1 & \text{if $n$ odd}\end{cases}$, or as a recurrence relation $a_{n+1} = -a_n, a_0 = 1
samir
Given the following pattern.

$$(-1)^{0}=1$$
$$(-1)^{1}=-1$$
$$(-1)^{2}=1$$
$$(-1)^{3}=-1$$
$$(-1)^{4}=1$$
$$(-1)^{5}=-1$$
$$(-1)^{6}=1$$
$$(-1)^{7}=-1$$
$$\ldots$$

In words, we might say that the power of a negative number is:

• Positive for even exponents.
  • Negative for odd exponents.

How can we concisely describe this pattern using mathematical notation and symbols?

I almost asked the question "what area of mathematics studies patterns?" That would be silly! :p Almost all of them study patterns to some extent. Mathematics is all about patterns and relations. What I meant to ask is, what is the name of the area of mathematics that seeks to find a formal, symbolic way of describing recurring patterns such as these?

Is "series" and "sequences" what I'm looking for? Is this the actual name of the area? Is this a sub-category of calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
samir said:
Given the following pattern.

$$(-1)^{0}=1$$
$$(-1)^{1}=-1$$
$$(-1)^{2}=1$$
$$(-1)^{3}=-1$$
$$(-1)^{4}=1$$
$$(-1)^{5}=-1$$
$$(-1)^{6}=1$$
$$(-1)^{7}=-1$$
$$\ldots$$

In words, we might say that the power of a negative number is:

• Positive for even exponents.
  • Negative for odd exponents.

How can we concisely describe this pattern using mathematical notation and symbols?

I almost asked the question "what area of mathematics studies patterns?" That would be silly! :p Almost all of them study patterns to some extent. Mathematics is all about patterns and relations. What I meant to ask is, what is the name of the area of mathematics that seeks to find a formal, symbolic way of describing recurring patterns such as these?

Is "series" and "sequences" what I'm looking for? Is this the actual name of the area? Is this a sub-category of calculus?

Hi samir! ;)

We might write it as:

$(-1)^{2k} = 1$ and $(-1)^{2k+1} = -1$ where $k$ is an integer.

Or:
$(-1)^n = \begin{cases}1&\text{if $n$ even} \\ -1 & \text{if $n$ odd}\end{cases}$

Or as recurrence relation:

$a_{n+1} = -a_n, a_0 = 1$

If we're only talking about patterns with whole numbers, the typical area would be Number Theory.
If we're more generally talking about recurrence relations, like $a_{n+1} = -a_n$, we might end up in Discrete Mathematics.
If we're talking about real numbers, typically combined with limits, the typical area is indeed Calculus.
We might call it a sub-category of Sequences and Series, or Limits, but these types of sub categories are not really formalized.
Even the distinction between the main areas can be a bit blurry, as we can see here.

Hi! :)

This is what I was getting at. I like both description, but I would probably prefer the second description. I think you know me by now! I like symbols! :D

I like Serena said:
$(-1)^n = \begin{cases}1&\text{if $n$ even} \\ -1 & \text{if $n$ odd}\end{cases}$

This looks a lot like a piece-wise function?... is it? Piece-wise relation perhaps?

samir said:
Hi! :)

This is what I was getting at. I like both description, but I would probably prefer the second description. I think you know me by now! I like symbols! :D

This looks a lot like a piece-wise function?... is it? Piece-wise relation perhaps?

Yep. It's a piece-wise function. (Nod)
And as Deveno already mentioned, a function is a relation, a special one.

Related to Pattern description: powers of a negative number

What is a negative number?

A negative number is a number that is less than zero. It is represented with a minus sign (-) in front of it.

What are powers of a negative number?

Powers of a negative number are the result of multiplying a negative number by itself a certain number of times. For example, the powers of -2 are: -2, 4, -8, 16, -32, etc.

How do you write powers of a negative number?

Powers of a negative number are written using the exponent notation. For example, (-2)³ is read as "negative two to the power of three" and means -2 x -2 x -2 = -8.

What is the pattern in powers of a negative number?

The pattern in powers of a negative number is that the result alternates between positive and negative values. The sign of the result depends on whether the exponent is even or odd.

What are some real-life examples of powers of a negative number?

One real-life example of powers of a negative number is the temperature scale in degrees Celsius. When the temperature goes below zero, it is represented with a negative value. For instance, -2°C is colder than -1°C, and -10°C is colder than -5°C. This follows the pattern of powers of a negative number where the value decreases as the exponent increases.