Analytic geometry easy but tricky problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of two perpendicular lines and using the information of two points on the lines to create equations. The final equation is ##\frac{m^2-1}{m}## and the distance between the points L and M is given as LM=5.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The straight line with equation , y = mx + 3 where , m > 0, m ≠ 1 is perpendicular to the line with
equation y = px + 2
The lines cut the x-axis at the points L and M respectively. The length of LM is 5 units.
What is the value of m + p given that m > 1?

CARTESIAN PLANE ATTACHED BELOW
Relevant Equations
none
Schermata 2020-10-21 alle 22.36.21.png
I started off by indicating ##p=-\frac{1}{m}## since it's perpendicular. The sum ##m+p## is now ##\frac{m^2-1}{m}##.
Honestly, I can't go beyond that. The interceptions with the y-axis are of course unuseful, I tried algebraically intersecting the two lines but I came up with nothing... and I still can't get how to use that ##LM=5##.

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
how to use that ##LM=5##.
The points L & M are on the lines when y=0. Also the distance between them is given. You can make some equations from these facts.

DaveE said:
The points L & M are on the lines when y=0. Also the distance between them is given. You can make some equations from these facts.
Thanks, did it!

Likes DaveE

Related to Analytic geometry easy but tricky problem

1. What is analytic geometry?

Analytic geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines algebra and geometry to study geometric shapes and their properties using coordinates and equations.

2. What makes analytic geometry problems easy but tricky?

Analytic geometry problems can be easy because they involve basic algebraic and geometric concepts. However, they can also be tricky because they require careful manipulation of equations and coordinates to arrive at the correct solution.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving analytic geometry problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving analytic geometry problems is through practice. Start with simple problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get additional support.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving analytic geometry problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving analytic geometry problems include not carefully reading the problem, not using the correct formulas, and not checking your work for errors. It is also important to pay attention to negative signs and to use proper notation for coordinates.

5. How can I apply analytic geometry in real life?

Analytic geometry has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze real-world situations involving shapes and their properties, such as designing buildings, creating computer animations, and predicting the path of a moving object.