Geometry Problem - Sum of distances

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining if the sum of distances from two points, P and Q, inside triangle ABC to its sides is equal. This involves calculating the distance function d(X) and finding a connection between the distances (x and y) and angles (φ and ψ). Multiple attempts have been made, including finding a connection between x, φ and y, ψ and finding all points Y where d(X) = d(Y). The solution is expected to involve the distance formula.
franceboy

Homework Statement

ABC is a triangle with I as the centre of the incircle and K as the centre of the circumcircle (I ≠ K). d(X) is the sum of the distances from a point X inside the triangle to the three sides. Verify if d(P)=d(Q) (P and Q are points inside the triangle), the lines PQ and IK intersect perpendicularly.

Homework Equations

d(X) = 3*r + f(x,φ) r is the radius of the incircle, x is the distance between X and I and φ is the angle between AB and IX.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have determined the complicated function f. Then I tried to find an connection between x,φ and y,ψ (d(X)=d(Y)) but the result was not very helpful. Another attempt was to try to find all points Y so that d(X)=d(Y). However I failed.

I do not search for a whole solution, but for good start or a theorem which could be useful.
Thank you very much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A picture would help us see what you are trying to do here.

I expect the solution would involve the distance formula.

Related to Geometry Problem - Sum of distances

1. What is the "Sum of distances" in a geometry problem?

The "Sum of distances" in a geometry problem refers to the total distance between two or more points on a plane. It can also be thought of as the total length of a path connecting these points.

2. How is the "Sum of distances" calculated in a geometry problem?

The "Sum of distances" is calculated by finding the individual distances between each point and then adding them together. This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem or other distance formulas.

3. What is the significance of the "Sum of distances" in geometry?

The "Sum of distances" is an important concept in geometry as it allows us to find the total distance between multiple points and understand the relationship between them. It is also used in various geometric proofs and constructions.

4. Can the "Sum of distances" be negative in a geometry problem?

No, the "Sum of distances" cannot be negative in a geometry problem. Distances are always positive values, and when added together, they will result in a positive value.

5. How can the "Sum of distances" be used in real-world applications?

The "Sum of distances" can be used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the total distance traveled by a moving object, finding the perimeter of a shape, or determining the total length of a route for navigation purposes.