Analytic Functions Cauchy & Riemann Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a complex function, where a function is expressed in the form h = f(z) and z = x + iy. The confusion arises from the fact that in the function f(z), the real part x affects the imaginary part and the imaginary part y affects the real part. However, this can be explained by seeing f(z) as a complex number with its own real and imaginary parts, and understanding that these parts are functions of both x and y. This understanding simplifies the notation and clarifies the concept.
thomas49th
Hi, this is fairly fundamental and basic, but I cannot seem to make sense of it

I know z = x + iy

and hence a function of this variable would be in the form h = f(z). BUT I do not understand why

f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)

why so? in z = x + iy, x is the real part and iy is the imaginary part, so why does y have influence in real part and x have influence in the imaginary part in f(z)?

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi thomas49th! :smile:

Consider for instance f(z)=z2.
What is (x+iy)2?

Mod note: Moved from Precalculus section.

I had a bit of trouble grasping this when first exposed to it, as well. What convinced me was to see f(z) as just another complex number, w. And w has its own real and imaginary part, u + iv.

Now if w = f(z) then we can say that w is (the result of) a function of z, and likewise that u and v are functions of z. So w(z) = u(z) + iv(z). But since the value of z is dependent of the values of its real and imaginary parts, x and y, we can think of w(z) = w(z(x,y)) = u(z(x,y)) + iv(z(x,y)). But there is no need for such ugly notation, since the root idea is that w is a function of both x and y. So we simplify to f(z) = w(x,y) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y).

@ I like... thought someone might say that :)

@ kru_ that has satisfied me for the time being

all is good for now

Related to Analytic Functions Cauchy & Riemann Equations

What are analytic functions?

Analytic functions are complex-valued functions that can be represented by a convergent power series in a neighborhood of each point in their domain. They are differentiable an infinite number of times and are used to model a wide range of phenomena in mathematics and physics.

What is the Cauchy-Riemann equation?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is a pair of partial differential equations that must be satisfied by a complex function in order for it to be differentiable. It relates the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of a complex function to each other.

What is the significance of the Cauchy-Riemann equation?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is significant because it allows us to determine whether a complex function is differentiable at a given point. If the equation is satisfied, then the function is differentiable and can be represented by a power series. It also provides a connection between complex analysis and real analysis.

What is the relationship between analytic functions and the Cauchy-Riemann equation?

Analytic functions are those that satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equation. This means that they are differentiable and can be represented by a power series. Conversely, any function that can be represented by a power series is analytic and satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equation.

How are Cauchy-Riemann equations used in real-world applications?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are used in many areas of mathematics and physics, including fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and signal processing. They are also used in the study of harmonic functions, which have applications in heat transfer, electric potential, and fluid flow. Additionally, they are essential in the field of complex analysis, which has many applications in engineering, physics, and economics.