Analytic Continuation along a Loop

In summary, the ellipse-like loop starting at z=2, going around the origin and returning to z=2 is analytically continuous provided the negative real axis isn't included in the circle |z-2| < 1. The principle branch satisfies this requirement, but when you get to the point z=2, the argument, Arg(z), drops to -\pi. To have the branch be analytically continuous, you need to "anneal" it to the principal branch at z=-2.
usn7564

Homework Statement

Choose a branch that is analytic in the circle |z-2|<1. Then analytically continue this branch along the curve indicated in Fig 5.18. Do the new functional values agree with the old?

[tex]a, 3z^{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]
[tex]b, (e^z)^\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Fig 5.18 is basically an ellipse like loop starting at z=2, going around the origin and returning to z=2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Started with a, well the principle branch satisfies the requirements as the negative real axis isn't included in the circle |z-2| < 1.

And that's it. Not been able to follow this chapter very well and it feels like I'm not understanding more by reading it more. Not very example heavy as well. How do you go about solving this? They did something similar in an example applying the Monodromy theorem but they used a punctured plane as the domain and I cannot see how a loop can be continuously deformed if there is a hole in the middle. Assuming there's something I'm 100% misunderstanding, thus I'm very much at a loss on how to proceed as that's the only example available.

Physics news on Phys.org
usn7564 said:

Homework Statement

Choose a branch that is analytic in the circle |z-2|<1. Then analytically continue this branch along the curve indicated in Fig 5.18. Do the new functional values agree with the old?

[tex]a, 3z^{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]
[tex]b, (e^z)^\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Fig 5.18 is basically an ellipse like loop starting at z=2, going around the origin and returning to z=2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Started with a, well the principle branch satisfies the requirements as the negative real axis isn't included in the circle |z-2| < 1.

And that's it. Not been able to follow this chapter very well and it feels like I'm not understanding more by reading it more. Not very example heavy as well. How do you go about solving this? They did something similar in an example applying the Monodromy theorem but they used a punctured plane as the domain and I cannot see how a loop can be continuously deformed if there is a hole in the middle. Assuming there's something I'm 100% misunderstanding, thus I'm very much at a loss on how to proceed as that's the only example available.

You guys draw stuff? Lot easier if you do. Also, try a simpler one first: [itex]w=z^{1/3}[/itex]. Same dif. Expand it as:
[tex]z^{1/3}=e^{1/3(\ln|z|+i(\text{Arg}(z)+2n\pi))},\quad -\pi< \text{Arg}(z)\leq\pi[/tex]

Ok, just say the contour is a circle of radius 2 and we start going around the contour over the principal branch, that is, [itex]n=0[/itex]. Then at the point z=2, [itex]\text{Arg}(2)=0[/itex] so that [itex]2^{1/3}[/itex] on this branch is just the real value of the cube root of 2. When you get to -2, we have:

[tex]e^{1/3(\ln|z|+i(\pi))}=r^{1/3}e^{\pi i/3}[/tex]

now, as soon as you drop below the negative real axis, the principal argument, Arg(z), drops to [itex]-\pi[/itex] right? Ok, then in order for [itex]e^{1/3(\ln|z|+i(\pi))}[/itex] to remain analytically continuous along this contour across the negative real axis, we need to have the argument vary continuously from what it is at -2, or [itex]\pi/3[/itex], as we drop below the negative real axis. We can do that by "annealing" the branch with [itex]n=1[/itex] to the principal branch at z=-2. Then we have at this point:

[tex]e^{1/3(\ln|z|+i(-\pi+2\pi))}=r^{1/3}e^{\pi i/3}[/tex]

which is exactly what it was just above the axis (analytically continuous) and we continue along this branch until we return to the point at 2 which then gives us:

[tex]e^{1/3(\ln|z|+i(0+2\pi))}=r^{1/3}e^{2\pi i/3}[/tex]

But recall we started with

[tex]e^{1/3(\ln(2)+i(0))}=r^{1/3}[/tex]

and so does an analytically-continuous path over [itex]|z|=2[/itex] and starting on the principal-branch at z=2, return to the starting point after a [itex]2\pi[/itex] circuit?

Now do the same analysis with [itex]z^{2/3}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Thank you, that was incredibly informative. Managed to do both exercises now (the latter I presume doesn't change at all). Think I'll have an easier time trying to properly understand the theory now.

Related to Analytic Continuation along a Loop

1. What is analytic continuation?

Analytic continuation is a mathematical technique used to extend the domain of a given function beyond its original definition. It allows for the calculation of values of a function at points outside of its original domain by finding a new function that agrees with the original function in the original domain and is also analytic in the extended domain.

2. Why is analytic continuation important?

Analytic continuation is important because it allows for the extension of mathematical functions beyond their original domain, making it possible to calculate values at points where the original function may not exist or is difficult to evaluate. It is also essential in many fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism, where functions often need to be extended to complex numbers.

3. How is analytic continuation performed?

Analytic continuation is performed by using known properties and relationships of the original function, such as its derivatives and integrals, to construct a new function that agrees with the original function in the original domain. This process can be done algebraically or using complex analysis techniques, such as Cauchy's integral theorem and the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

4. What is the difference between analytic continuation and interpolation?

Analytic continuation and interpolation are both methods used to extend the domain of a given function, but they differ in their approach. Analytic continuation is based on using known properties and relationships of the original function, while interpolation relies on fitting a curve or surface to a set of known points. Analytic continuation is also more precise and can be used to extend a function to an infinite number of points, while interpolation is typically restricted to a finite number of points.

5. Are there any limitations to analytic continuation?

While analytic continuation is a powerful tool in mathematics and physics, there are limitations to its applicability. It can only be performed on functions that are analytic, meaning they are infinitely differentiable and have a unique Taylor series expansion. Additionally, analytic continuation may not always produce a unique solution, and in some cases, the extended function may have singularities or discontinuities in the extended domain.