Analysis - Show Linear functions are uniformly Continuous

In summary, the definition of uniform continuity for real functions states that a function f is uniformly continuous on a subset U of the real numbers if for any epsilon greater than 0, there exists a delta greater than 0 such that if the distance between any two inputs x and y in U is less than delta, then the difference between the outputs f(x) and f(y) is less than epsilon. To prove that a linear function f:R->R is uniformly continuous on R, we must show that for any epsilon, there exists a delta such that for all x and y in R, if the distance between them is less than delta, then the difference between f(x) and f(y) is less than epsilon. In order
dkotschessaa

Homework Statement

Suppose f:R->R is a linear function. Prove from the definition that f is uniformly continuous on R.

Homework Equations

Epsilon delta definition of uniform continuity: A function f:X->Y is called uniformly continuous if ##\forall\epsilon##>0 ∃x st. dx(f(P),(Q))<δ→ dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I found this easier than I expected, so of course that makes me think I'm wrong. Also I'm not sure about the placement of the absolute value signs near the end.

let σ=f-1(ε)

|p-q|<σ→|p-q|<f-1ε → f(|p-q|)≤|f(p)-f(q)| < ε

Where f(|p-q|)≤|f(p)-f(q)| is due to the linearity of f.

Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:

Homework Statement

Suppose f:R->R is a linear function. Prove from the definition that f is uniformly continuous on R.

Homework Equations

Epsilon delta definition of uniform continuity: A function f:X->Y is called uniformly continuous if ##\forall\epsilon##>0 ∃x st. dx(f(P),(Q))<δ→ dy

What are [itex]P[/itex], [itex]Q[/itex], [itex]d_x[/itex] and [itex]d_y[/itex]?

The definition of uniform continuity for real functions is that [itex]f[/itex] is uniformly continuous on [itex]U \subset \mathbb{R}[/itex] if and only if for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that for all [itex]x \in U[/itex] and all [itex]y \in U[/itex], if [itex]|x - y| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x) - f(y)| < \epsilon[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I found this easier than I expected, so of course that makes me think I'm wrong. Also I'm not sure about the placement of the absolute value signs near the end.

let σ=f-1(ε)

This step is not justified, since constant functions are linear but not invertible.

If [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is linear, then you must have [itex]f: x \mapsto ax + b[/itex] for some [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Now calculate [itex]|f(x) - f(y)|[/itex].

Related to Analysis - Show Linear functions are uniformly Continuous

1. What is the definition of a linear function?

A linear function is a mathematical equation that can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. It represents a straight line on a graph and has a constant rate of change.

2. How can we show that a linear function is continuous?

A linear function is continuous because it has a constant slope and is defined for all real numbers. This means that as the input (x) increases or decreases, the output (y) changes at a constant rate, without any interruptions or jumps.

3. What does it mean for a function to be uniformly continuous?

A function is uniformly continuous if for any given input value, the change in the output value is always within a certain range. In other words, the rate of change is consistent throughout the entire domain of the function.

4. How can we prove that a linear function is uniformly continuous?

To prove that a linear function is uniformly continuous, we can use the epsilon-delta definition. This states that for any given epsilon (ε) value, there exists a delta (δ) value such that the distance between any two points on the graph is less than ε whenever the distance between their corresponding inputs is less than δ.

5. Are all linear functions uniformly continuous?

Yes, all linear functions are uniformly continuous. This is because they have a constant slope and are defined for all real numbers, ensuring that the rate of change is consistent throughout the entire domain of the function.