Analysis Of Stilts Movement Research

In summary, the researcher is looking for ideas to improve their research. They are interested in understanding the efficiency of human vs height and whether there is a sweet spot where it is maximized. They also want to video someone walking in stilts.
martinbandung
Hello all, I'm planning to do a research about stilts movement. I chose it because stilt is a traditional game in my country. In my plan, i want to analyze the velocity of the walker, the frequency of stilts, and the length of steps. I need some other idea to be added to my research. Such as the speed of the walker is equal to frequency of walking multiplied by the length of steps. But is it to simple for a research? I need some ideas to improve my research.

idea that pop up in my mind:
I plot the stilts tip movement position in center of mass frame, so i get the sinusoidal-like graph. I still haven't done the research, but is it necessary to do such Fourier transform to get something more important? I don't get any idea to interpret the data.

thanks for your reply :)

Physics news on Phys.org
martinbandung said:
Such as the speed of the walker is equal to frequency of walking multiplied by the length of steps. But is it to simple for a research?

I think that would be a rather obvious result.

How about looking at the efficiency of the human vs height? For example do you use less energy walking 5km on tall stilts? That might be too hard because I think you need access to equipment to measure oxygen consumption.

How about an optimization problem...

There are two obvious places where motive power is lost for a pair of ideal stilts. One is when a stilt touches down and the person abruptly shifts from moving forward and slightly downward to forward and slightly upward. Assume an inelastic collision and this change in momentum has an associated energy loss. The other energy loss is due to the need to accelerate each stilt forward to get ready to plant it and then backwards to match ground speed. If one assumes that muscles cannot harvest the associated kinetic energy at each stride, these accelerations also result in a loss of energy.

Given some assumptions about stilt mass as a function of length and a particular forward velocity, is there a sweet spot where efficiency is maximized?

Likes martinbandung
Take a video of someone walking in stilts .

Convert this into a series of stick man images and analyse the motion in detail .

You can video normal picture images but better , if you can devise a simple way of doing it , would be to record white dot images against a dark background .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
if you can devise a simple way of doing it

Battery powered torch bulbs or bright LED's would probably work well enough .

wow thanks for the brilliant idea. i will tell my partner about it. do you mind if i contact you when i need some help?

martinbandung said:
do you mind if i contact you when i need some help?

No problem .

Best to post questions openly on forum - then lots of members can join in .

Related to Analysis Of Stilts Movement Research

1. What is the purpose of analyzing stilts movement?

The purpose of analyzing stilts movement is to gain a better understanding of how stilts work and how they can be used to improve human mobility and balance. By studying the mechanics of stilts, scientists can also develop new technologies and techniques for prosthetic limbs and assistive devices.

2. What methods are used for analyzing stilts movement?

There are several methods used for analyzing stilts movement, including motion capture technology, force plates, electromyography, and computer simulations. These methods allow scientists to measure the forces and movements involved in stilt walking and identify key factors that contribute to stability and efficiency.

3. What have studies on stilts movement revealed so far?

Studies on stilts movement have revealed that the human body has an incredible ability to adapt and maintain balance while walking on stilts. They have also shown that certain factors, such as the height and weight of the stilt walker, as well as the design of the stilts, can greatly affect their movement and stability.

4. How can the analysis of stilts movement benefit society?

The analysis of stilts movement can benefit society in several ways. It can lead to the development of better prosthetic devices and assistive technologies for individuals with mobility impairments. It can also be used to improve the design of stilts for recreational and performance purposes, making them safer and more efficient.

5. What are some potential future research directions for stilts movement analysis?

Some potential future research directions for stilts movement analysis include studying the effects of different terrains and environmental conditions on stilt walking, as well as exploring the use of stilts in various sports and activities. Additionally, there is room for further investigation into the biomechanics of stilt walking and how it compares to other forms of locomotion.