Analysis of Shock Formation from Traffic Light Red Signal

In summary, the conversation discusses a traffic flow problem where traffic is moving uniformly with a constant density $\rho_0$ until a traffic light turns red. At time $t=0^+$, the initial density profile is modeled according to a figure. The resulting wave motion is governed by a partial differential equation and the method of characteristics is used to obtain expressions for the shock speed. The conversation also mentions boundary conditions for $x<0$ and $x>0$, as well as $t<0$ and $t=0$. However, there is confusion about the validity of the model for $t=0$.
Dustinsfl
Suppose traffic is moving uniformly with a constant density $\rho_0$ when a traffic light turns red.
At time $t = 0^+$, the initial density profile is then modeled according to the figure below.
The resulting wave motion of the disturbance is governed by
$$
\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} + c(\rho)\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x} = 0
$$
where
$$
c(\rho) = u_{\text{max}}\left(1 - \frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)
$$Argue that two shocks emanate from the origin and obtain expressions for the shock speed.

From method of characteristics, we have $t=r$ and $x=tu_{\text{max}}\left(1-\frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)+x_0$.

I don't know what to do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Suppose traffic is moving uniformly with a constant density $\rho_0$ when a traffic light turns red.
At time $t = 0^+$, the initial density profile is then modeled according to the figure below.
$$
$$
where
$$
$$Argue that two shocks emanate from the origin and obtain expressions for the shock speed.

From method of characteristics, we have $t=r$ and $x=tu_{\text{max}}\left(1-\frac{2\rho}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)+x_0$.

I forgot to add that when $x<0$ and $x>0$ the density is $\rho_0$.
When $x=0$, the density is $\rho_{\text{max}}$.

View attachment 341

How can I convert this into boundary conditions.

I know that we must have $\rho_0$ for $x<0$ and $x>0$.

As before, we have that $t = r$.
So $\frac{d\rho}{dt} = 0\Rightarrow \rho = c$.
When $t = 0$ and $x = x_0$, we have $\rho(x_0,0) = c$.
Thus,
$$
\rho = \rho(x_0,0).
$$
Now, we have the ODE
$$
\frac{dx}{dt} = u_{\text{max}}\left(1 - \frac{2\rho(x_0,0)}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right) \Rightarrow x = u_{\text{max}}\left(1 - \frac{2\rho(x_0,0)}{\rho_{\text{max}}}\right)t + x_0.
$$

dwsmith said:
$$
$$
where
$$

dwsmith said:
I forgot to add that when $x<0$ and $x>0$ the density is $\rho_0$.
When $x=0$, the density is $\rho_{\text{max}}$.

Hi dwsmith, :)

What I don't understand in this problem is that in your first post you have mentioned that this model is valid only for \(t=0^+\) which I assume is, \(t>0\). Then in your second post the boundary conditions are given for \(t<0\) and \(t=0\). Am I missing something here?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
Hi dwsmith, :)

What I don't understand in this problem is that in your first post you have mentioned that this model is valid only for \(t=0^+\) which I assume is, \(t>0\). Then in your second post the boundary conditions are given for \(t<0\) and \(t=0\). Am I missing something here?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Post 3 has the picture. Click and you will see the information.

Related to Analysis of Shock Formation from Traffic Light Red Signal

1. What is shock formation in traffic light red signals and why is it important to analyze?

Shock formation refers to the buildup of vehicles at a traffic light when it turns red, leading to a sudden increase in traffic density. This phenomenon can cause delays, congestion, and safety hazards. It is important to analyze in order to improve traffic flow, reduce travel time, and enhance overall traffic management.

2. How is shock formation analyzed in traffic light red signals?

Shock formation is typically analyzed using mathematical models and simulations. These models take into account factors such as traffic volume, signal timing, and vehicle behavior to predict the occurrence and severity of shock formation. Data from traffic cameras and sensors can also be used for analysis.

3. What are some potential solutions to mitigate shock formation in traffic light red signals?

There are several potential solutions to reduce shock formation in traffic light red signals. These include adjusting signal timing to improve traffic flow, implementing intelligent transportation systems that can adapt to changing traffic conditions, and implementing measures such as dedicated turning lanes or roundabouts to reduce conflicts and delays.

4. What are some challenges in analyzing shock formation from traffic light red signals?

One of the main challenges in analyzing shock formation is the unpredictability of human behavior. Drivers may not always follow traffic signals or behave in a predictable manner, making it difficult to accurately model and predict traffic patterns. Another challenge is obtaining accurate and real-time data for analysis.

5. What are the potential benefits of reducing shock formation in traffic light red signals?

The benefits of reducing shock formation include improved traffic flow, reduced travel time, and increased safety for both drivers and pedestrians. It can also lead to cost savings in terms of fuel consumption and vehicle emissions. Additionally, reducing shock formation can improve the overall efficiency of the transportation system and enhance the overall driving experience for individuals.