Analysis of Functions I: increase, decrease, and concavity

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the intervals of increase and decrease, concavity, and inflection points for various functions. The key steps involved solving second derivatives and setting them equal to zero to find points of interest. The conversation also touched on differentiating and using the quotient rule to find derivatives.
josh_123
Hello I need help with these problems. The direction said

a. find the intervals on which f is increasing, b. the intervals on which f is decreasing, c. the open intervals on which f is concave up, d. the open intervals on which f is concave down and e. the x-cordincates of all inflection points
1. f(x)=x^4-8x^2+16
I find a,b c and d for this function. However I have trouble finding the inflection points for this function. When you find the inflection point you suppose to set up the second derivative of the function to equal 0 but I have no idea how to solve it afterward. Is there an inflection point for this equation?
f"(x)=12x^2-16
2. f(x)=x/(x^2+2)
so f'(x)=-x2+2/(x2+2)2
to find a,b I have to set this equal to 0 and solve it. How do I solve it? and what would be the second derivative and how do I solve it by setting it up to equal to 0 to know if it's concave up or down?
3. f(x)=x2lnx
The first derivative is 2xlnx+x. How do I solve it or know what is a, b is?and the second derivative is 2lnx+3. How do I use the second derivative to solve for c,d and e?

Please help! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
josh_123 said:
1. f(x)=x^4-8x^2+16
I find a,b c and d for this function. However I have trouble finding the inflection points for this function. When you find the inflection point you suppose to set up the second derivative of the function to equal 0 but I have no idea how to solve it afterward. Is there an inflection point for this equation?
f"(x)=12x^2-16

So you need to solve the equation 12x^2-16 = 0. What is your problem?

josh_123 said:
2. f(x)=x/(x^2+2)
so f'(x)=-x2+2/(x2+2)2
to find a,b I have to set this equal to 0 and solve it. How do I solve it? and what would be the second derivative and how do I solve it by setting it up to equal to 0 to know if it's concave up or down?

Use parentheses. The formula is wrong without them.
You will have a fraction. It can be zero if the nominator is zero.

josh_123 said:
3. f(x)=x2lnx
The first derivative is 2xlnx+x. How do I solve it or know what is a, b is?and the second derivative is 2lnx+3. How do I use the second derivative to solve for c,d and e?

To find x where the derivative is zero, factor out x.

ehild

josh_123 said:
Hello I need help with these problems. The direction said

a. find the intervals on which f is increasing, b. the intervals on which f is decreasing, c. the open intervals on which f is concave up, d. the open intervals on which f is concave down and e. the x-cordincates of all inflection points
1. f(x)=x^4-8x^2+16
f"(x)=12x^2-16
What? You don't know how to solve [itex]12x^2- 16= 0[/itex]? Add 16 to both sides, divide both sides by 12, then take the square root of both sides.

2. f(x)=x/(x^2+2)
so f'(x)=-x2+2/(x2+2)2
to find a,b I have to set this equal to 0 and solve it. How do I solve it?
you are taking Calculus and do not know how to solve equations like this? Multiply both sides of the equation by that denominator to get [itex]2- x^2= 0[/itex]

and what would be the second derivative and how do I solve it by setting it up to equal to 0 to know if it's concave up or down?
Differentiate it, using the quotient rule again.

3. f(x)=x2lnx
The first derivative is 2xlnx+x. How do I solve it or know what is a, b is?
Oh, c'mon! 2xln(x)+ x= x(2ln(x)+ 1)= 0. One thing you surely learned long ago is that a product is equal to 0 only if one or more of the factors is 0. So here, either x= 0 or 2ln(x)+ 1= 0: x= 0 or ln(x)= -1/2.

and the second derivative is 2lnx+3. How do I use the second derivative to solve for c,d and e?
2ln(x)+ 3= 0 leads to ln(x)=-3/2. Again, you should have learned in algebra or precalculus that if ln(x)= a then [itex]x= e^a[/itex]. Once you know where it zero, you can determine the intervals in which the second derivative is positive or negative.

Please help! Thank you!

Actually I finished this before checking back haha. Please delete this post

Last edited:

Related to Analysis of Functions I: increase, decrease, and concavity

1. What is the definition of a increasing function?

An increasing function is a type of mathematical function in which the output values increase as the input values increase. This means that as the independent variable (usually denoted as x) increases, the dependent variable (usually denoted as y) also increases.

2. How do you determine if a function is increasing or decreasing?

To determine if a function is increasing or decreasing, you can graph the function and observe the direction of the curve. If the curve is moving upwards from left to right, the function is increasing. If the curve is moving downwards from left to right, the function is decreasing.

3. What is the difference between a local maximum and a global maximum?

A local maximum is a point on a graph where the function has the highest value in a specific interval. A global maximum, on the other hand, is the highest value of the function over its entire domain. In other words, a global maximum is also a local maximum, but a local maximum is not necessarily a global maximum.

4. How do you determine the concavity of a function?

To determine the concavity of a function, you can find the second derivative of the function. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up and if it is negative, the function is concave down. You can also determine the concavity by observing the curvature of the graph. If the curve is opening upwards, the function is concave up and if it is opening downwards, the function is concave down.

5. How can the concepts of increase, decrease, and concavity be applied in real life?

The concepts of increase, decrease, and concavity are commonly used in economics, physics, and other fields to analyze and model real-life phenomena. For example, in economics, the increase and decrease of supply and demand can be represented by mathematical functions. In physics, the concavity of a position-time graph can be used to determine the acceleration of an object. These concepts can also be applied in business and finance to analyze market trends and make predictions.