Analysis of Continuous functions

In summary, the problem is asking to prove that for any x0 ∈ P, there exists a neighborhood Vδ(x0) ⊆ P, meaning that there exists a value δ where the function f is continuous at x0 and all the points in that neighborhood have a positive value.
Locoism

Homework Statement

Let f : R → R be continuous on R and assume that P = {x ∈ R : f(x) > 0} is non-empty. Prove that for any x0 ∈ P there exists a neighborhood Vδ(x0) ⊆ P.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If you choose some x, y ∈ P, since f(x) is continuous then |f(x) - f(y)| < ε for some ε>0
then |x-y|<δ for some δ(ε)

I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I know it has something to do with the question...
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Locoism said:

Homework Statement

Let f : R → R be continuous on R and assume that P = {x ∈ R : f(x) > 0} is non-empty. Prove that for any x0 ∈ P there exists a neighborhood Vδ(x0) ⊆ P.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If you choose some x, y ∈ P, since f(x) is continuous then |f(x) - f(y)| < ε for some ε>0
then |x-y|<δ for some δ(ε)

I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I know it has something to do with the question...
Can someone point me in the right direction?

You have to start with a correct statement of what continuity at x means. Finish this sentence correctly:

The statement that f(x) is continuous at x means ...

that for any ε>0 there exists δ(ε) such that for any y, if |x-y|<δ then |f(x)-f(y)|<ε.
I don't see how this is different from what I put down?

I'm finding it hard just to put it down into mathematical terms. I can prove it by sketching a drawing, but having trouble translating that...

Locoism said:
that for any ε>0 there exists δ(ε) such that for any y, if |x-y|<δ then |f(x)-f(y)|<ε.
I don't see how this is different from what I put down?

That may be why you are having difficulty with this type of problem. But leaving that aside for now, you have a value x0 where f(x0) > 0. The above statement with x = x0 says you can get f(y) close to f(x0). If you can do that is there some way you can guarantee f(y) is positive?

Related to Analysis of Continuous functions

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph. This means that the graph of a continuous function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it satisfies the three conditions of continuity: it is defined at every point in its domain, it has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph, and the limit of the function as x approaches a certain value is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the importance of analyzing continuous functions?

Analyzing continuous functions helps us understand the behavior of these functions over a given interval. This can be useful in solving problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. What are some common methods used in analyzing continuous functions?

Some common methods used in analyzing continuous functions include finding the derivative and determining the critical points, using the Intermediate Value Theorem to determine if a function has a root, and finding the limit of a function at a specific point.

5. Can a function be continuous at some points and not others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at certain points and not others. This is known as a piecewise continuous function, where the function is continuous on each piece of its domain but may have abrupt changes or breaks between pieces.