Analysis - Metric space proof (prove max exists)

In summary: Good catch. Do you mean you have to prove that the limit as n,k-> infinity of p((x_n)_k, (y_n)_k) = p(x,y)?Yes, and also that this is equal to M. Is there some kind of difference between using subsequence and sub-sub sequences? I picture the subsequences having the same properties as sub-sub sequences, is there a deeper meaning to why you would pick sub-sub sequences?There is no difference, they are just different names for the same concept. The reason for using sub-sub sequences is as stated above, to ensure that both subsequences have the same indices and can therefore be compared directly.
linda300
http://imageshack.us/a/img12/8381/37753570.jpg

I am having trouble with this question, like I do with most analysis questions haha.

It seems like I must show that the maximum exists.

So E is compact -> E is closed

To me having E closed seems like it is clear that a maximum distance exists in the metric space but I know that more work is required.

I think the way I am supposed to solve it is by using a similar proof to the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, as in picking a subsequence of a subsequence but I am really not sure how to begin and really apply this to the proof.

I was thinking maybe you show that the distance between a sequence and its sub-sub sequence is in E but I am really not confident that this is correct.

Could anyone help point me in the right direction and hopefully help me gain some intuition about this stuff.

Thank you in advanced, Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know that a real-valued continuous function whose domain is a compact set achieves a maximum, then one way to approach this would be to prove that [itex]E \times E[/itex] is compact and that [itex]\rho : E \times E \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a continuous function.

Another option is to recognize that by definition of the supremum, you can find sequences [itex](x_n)[/itex] and [itex](y_n)[/itex] such that [itex]M - 1/n \leq \rho(x_n, y_n) \leq M[/itex], where [itex]M[/itex] is the supremum. What does the fact that [itex]E[/itex] is compact imply about the sequences [itex](x_n)[/itex] and [itex](y_n)[/itex]?

Thanks for replying jbunniii!

E being compact implies that the sequences {xn} and {yn} have a convergent subsequence in E.

So by taking the subsequence's of {xn} and {yn} this shows that you can find:
[itex]{(x_n)_n}[/itex] and [itex]{(y_n)_n}[/itex] such that [itex]K - 1/n \leq \rho((x_n)_n, (y_n)_n) \leq K[/itex] where K is in E.

Is that right?

linda300 said:
Thanks for replying jbunniii!

E being compact implies that the sequences {xn} and {yn} have a convergent subsequence in E.

So by taking the subsequence's of {xn} and {yn} this shows that you can find:
[itex]{(x_n)_n}[/itex] and [itex]{(y_n)_n}[/itex] such that [itex]K - 1/n \leq \rho((x_n)_n, (y_n)_n) \leq K[/itex] where K is in E.

Is that right?
So far so good, although you should use a different letter to denote subsequence, such as [itex](x_{n_k})[/itex], not [itex](x_{n_n})[/itex].

Also, by [itex]K[/itex], I assume you mean what I was calling [itex]M[/itex], namely [itex]M = \sup_{u,v \in E} \rho(u,v)[/itex]. Note that [itex]M[/itex] is a real number, not an element of [itex]E[/itex].

OK, so the subsequences are convergent. That means there are points [itex]x,y \in E[/itex] such that [itex]x_{n_k} \rightarrow x[/itex] and [itex]y_{n_k} \rightarrow y[/itex]. Now what can you say about [itex]\rho(x,y)[/itex]?

Is it that you can say M <= p(x,y) <= M since the 1/n -> 0 as n->infinity

Then you get what you need!

p(x,y) = sup p(u,v)

The notes I found the question it kind of suggested that you have to take a subsequence of a subsequence, how come you think they suggested that?

linda300 said:
Is it that you can say M <= p(x,y) <= M since the 1/n -> 0 as n->infinity

Then you get what you need!

p(x,y) = sup p(u,v)
It is true, but you have to explain/prove why this works.

The notes I found the question it kind of suggested that you have to take a subsequence of a subsequence, how come you think they suggested that?
I don't think this is necessary, but perhaps the author is thinking of a different proof.

jbunniii said:
I don't think this is necessary, but perhaps the author is thinking of a different proof.

It's the same proof and there isn't really any way around this step if the prof wants all of the details. You use sequential compactness on {xn} to get a convergent subsequence {xnk}. Then you use sequential compactness on {ynk} to find a convergent subsequence {ynkj}. Then both {xnkj} and {ynkj} are convergent sequences.

Thanks guys!

Do you mean you have to prove that the limit as n,k-> infinity of p((x_n)_k, (y_n)_k) = p(x,y)?

Is there some kind of difference between using subsequence and sub-sub sequences?
I picture the subsequences having the same properties as sub-sub sequences, is there a deeper meaning to why you would pick sub-sub sequences?

jgens said:
It's the same proof and there isn't really any way around this step if the prof wants all of the details. You use sequential compactness on {xn} to get a convergent subsequence {xnk}. Then you use sequential compactness on {ynk} to find a convergent subsequence {ynkj}. Then both {xnkj} and {ynkj} are convergent sequences.

Oops, yes, you're right of course. This is the only way to get both subsequences to share the same indices.

Related to Analysis - Metric space proof (prove max exists)

What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects and a function that measures the distance between any two objects in the set. This function, called a metric, satisfies certain properties such as non-negativity, symmetry, and triangle inequality.

What is the purpose of proving that a maximum exists in a metric space?

Proving the existence of a maximum in a metric space is important because it allows us to establish the bounds of a given set of objects. This can be helpful in solving various problems in mathematics, physics, and other fields.

What is the process of proving the existence of a maximum in a metric space?

The process of proving that a maximum exists in a metric space involves showing that the set of objects is bounded and non-empty, and then using the completeness property of metric spaces to establish the existence of a maximum element.

Why is the completeness property important in proving the existence of a maximum in a metric space?

The completeness property states that every Cauchy sequence in a metric space converges to a point in the space. This is important in proving the existence of a maximum because it guarantees that a sequence of objects in the space will eventually converge to the maximum element.

What are some real-world examples of metric spaces?

Metric spaces can be found in various real-world applications, such as measuring distance between cities on a map, calculating the similarity between two pieces of music, or determining the difference between two images. They are also commonly used in fields such as statistics, economics, and computer science.