Analysing a photo of a mechanical cam

In summary, analyzing a photo of a mechanical cam involves examining the shape, size, and placement of its various components, such as the camshaft, cam lobes, and follower. The angle and timing of these parts in relation to each other determine the cam's function, which can range from simple rotational movement to more complex motions like sliding or oscillating. Additionally, analyzing the material and surface finish of the cam can provide insight into its durability and performance. By carefully studying all these aspects, engineers can gain a deeper understanding of how a mechanical cam works and make improvements to its design for optimal functionality.
peterAustralia
hi all

I have an image of a mechnaical cam from a linotype printing press.

I want to get angular dispalcemetns, angular velocities and angular accelerations of this cam from the image.

Is this possible. Does anyone know any software where I can get an image and then get a set of coordinaates of the perimeter for analysis. My rough guess says that if I had 500 or so coordinates I could get a very good approximation of the cam.

so is there any software out there that can get me the coordinates I seek. Is there other software in existence which I can use to analyse the cam. Since this is a 2D image, perhaps a CAD program could analyse the coordinates if they were in dxf format of possibly csv?

my background is coding and web design. This is for a friend who has been working on this 'project; for almost a year and going mad. (yes he has a lot of spare time!). Thus the finer points of mechanical cam analysis and software are actually lost on me

thanks in advance if you are able to help
n peter evans

Engineering news on Phys.org
peterAustralia said:
...perhaps a CAD program could analyse the coordinates if they were in dxf format of possibly csv?

I'm unsure about the analysis part, but http://www.alibre.com/xpress/software/alibre-design-xpress.asp" will import 2D .dxf 's into 3D & its free.

GL hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how you are going to get all of that information from one image of the cam. Do you have multiple images that are time coded or something along those lines?

Is this cam in operation right now? If it is, is there any way one could install even a simple prox probe to take some measurements?

I have, from time to time, used a simple scale with an image to reverse engineer something, but you have to make sure that the scale the photo was taken at is reliable and verifiable. If you had that, then pretty much any 2D CAD package will import an image to work on top of.

Tough one. I'd probably be getting the image scaled up, getting it on a drawing board, and using calipers to take measurements at indexed points from the centre at as many positions as possible. Then plot out distance against angle in Excel or some such.

The rest is just a case of some mathematics, but I'm not sure how accurate your initial measurements would be.

Check for "spotlight", freeware created by NASA. Do you need to to real time analysis??

Related to Analysing a photo of a mechanical cam

1. How does a mechanical cam work?

A mechanical cam is a rotating component that is used to convert circular motion into linear motion. It works by pushing against a follower or lever, causing it to move in a predetermined path.

2. What are the different types of mechanical cams?

There are several types of mechanical cams, including cylindrical, plate, and grooved cams. Cylindrical cams have a circular shape and are used in applications such as engines and pumps. Plate cams have a flat or curved surface and are commonly used in printing presses and textile machinery. Grooved cams have a specially shaped groove on their surface and are used in applications like sewing machines and automotive engines.

3. How is a mechanical cam analyzed in a photo?

When analyzing a photo of a mechanical cam, it is important to identify the different components of the cam, such as the base, follower, and cam profile. The shape and size of the cam profile, as well as the placement of the follower, can provide valuable information about the cam's function and performance.

4. What factors affect the performance of a mechanical cam?

The performance of a mechanical cam can be affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the cam profile, the placement of the follower, the material and surface finish of the cam, and the speed and direction of rotation. These factors can impact the smoothness of the cam's motion, its durability, and its overall effectiveness in converting motion.

5. How is a mechanical cam used in real-world applications?

Mechanical cams are used in a wide variety of real-world applications, such as engines, pumps, printing presses, textile machinery, and automotive systems. They are also commonly used in manufacturing and industrial processes, where precise and repetitive motion is required. Mechanical cams are essential components in many machines and play a crucial role in converting motion for various functions.