Calculating Maximum Height in Projectile Motion for an Olympic Long Jumper

• Thread starter atbruick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: Vi = 4.4 m/sIn summary, an Olympic long jumper with an initial horizontal velocity of 9.7 m/s can jump up to a maximum height of 4.4 meters assuming he lands standing upright. This is found by using the equation Vf = Vi + at and solving for Vi. The incorrect assumption that Vy initial was zero led to an incorrect calculation of 18 m/s for Vi.
atbruick

Homework Statement

An Olympic long jumper is capable of jumping 8.5 m. How high does he goes? (Assuming he lands standing upright). His initial horizontal velocity is 9.7 m/s.

Before it asked his height, I found that the time he is in the air is 0.88 seconds.

Homework Equations

Y=Yinitial+Vyinitial*t-.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since Y is the maximum height, I just tried plugging in numbers for the symbols in the rest of the equation. Yintial was 0, Vyintial was 0, t was 0.44 because max height is in the middle, and a is -9.80m/s2. I got an answer of 9.5, which was wrong. I have a feeling I'm substituting incorrectly but can't figure out what.

Physics news on Phys.org
The assumption that Vy initial is zero is wrong. If it was zero, then the maximum height would be zero.

It seems to me you would have to use Vf = Vi + at to find Vi before doing your vertical distance calc.

Ok, so hoping my calculations for Vy initial are correct, I got 18 m/s, then I tried finding the maximum height and got 20 meters with time as 0.88, which was incorrect. So I thought I should put in time as 0.44 because that is when he will be at maximum height and got 8.9 and that was incorrect too. Not sure what to do now.

I think 18 is much too large for Vy initial. It would be more helpful if you showed what you did than what the answer was. I used
Vf = Vi + at
-Vi = Vi -9.8*t
2*Vi = 9.8*0.88

I would like to commend you on your attempt to solve the problem and your use of the correct formula for projectile motion. However, there are a few things that need to be corrected in order to find the maximum height correctly.

Firstly, the initial vertical velocity (Vyinitial) is not always 0 in projectile motion. In this case, the long jumper's initial velocity is a combination of both horizontal (9.7 m/s) and vertical components. To find the vertical component, we can use the formula V = V0 + at, where V0 is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2). Since we know that the jumper is in the air for 0.88 seconds, we can plug in these values to find the vertical component of the initial velocity:

V = V0 + at
0 = Vyinitial + (-9.8)(0.88)
Vyinitial = 8.624 m/s

Now, using this value for Vyinitial, we can plug in the values for Yinitial, Vyinitial, t, and a into the formula Y = Yinitial + Vyinitial*t - 0.5*a*t^2 to find the maximum height:

Y = 0 + (8.624)(0.44) - 0.5*(-9.8)(0.44)^2
Y = 1.897 m

Therefore, the maximum height the long jumper reaches is 1.897 m. It is important to note that this is not the same as the height he jumped, which was 8.5 m. The maximum height is the highest point he reaches in the air, while the height he jumps is the distance he covers horizontally before landing. I hope this helps and keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

Related to Calculating Maximum Height in Projectile Motion for an Olympic Long Jumper

1. What is projectile motion in the context of long jump?

Projectile motion refers to the curved path that an object takes when it is thrown or launched into the air. In the context of long jump, it describes the trajectory of a long jumper as they take off from the ground and travel through the air.

2. How is projectile motion used in long jump?

Projectile motion is used in long jump to determine the optimal angle and velocity at which a jumper should take off in order to achieve the maximum distance. It also helps coaches and athletes analyze and improve their technique by understanding the forces acting on the jumper during their flight.

3. What factors affect projectile motion in long jump?

The main factors that affect projectile motion in long jump are the takeoff angle, takeoff velocity, and the air resistance or drag. The takeoff angle and velocity determine the shape and height of the trajectory, while air resistance can either help or hinder the jumper's distance depending on their technique.

4. How does the environment impact projectile motion in long jump?

The environment can impact projectile motion in long jump in several ways. Wind direction and speed can affect the trajectory of the jumper, making it more challenging to control their landing. The type of surface the jumper is landing on can also affect their distance and technique, as well as the temperature and altitude of the location.

5. How can understanding projectile motion improve long jump performance?

Understanding projectile motion can improve long jump performance by allowing athletes and coaches to analyze and adjust their technique to achieve the optimal takeoff angle and velocity. It also helps them anticipate and adapt to environmental factors that may affect their performance. By understanding the physics behind long jump, athletes can make more informed decisions and potentially improve their distance and technique.