An ODE involving delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in the solution given by the textbook for a differential equation, with the speaker providing their own solution using Laplace transforms and partial fractions. There is also a discussion about the meaning of x'(0) and the presence of a delta function in the input.
AlonsoMcLaren
x''+2x'+x=t+delta(t) x(0)=0 x'(0)=1

The textbook, "Elementary differential equations" by Edwards and Penney, gives the answer as -2+t+2exp(-t)+3t exp(-t)

It is clearly wrong, as in this case x'(0)=2, not x'(0)=1.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got -2u(t)+t+2exp(-t)+3t exp(-t), with u(t) being the Heaviside function. I got this using a Laplace transform and then doing partial fractions. I think they just left off the u(t) for their solution on accident.

What do mean by saying that x'(0)=1、 Do we mean x'(0+)=1 or x'(0-)=1?

EDIT: Whoa, I was way off for my reasoning for x'(0)! Sorry about that. I'd suspect it would be x'(0-) since that is what you use when you take the transform.

Last edited:
But there is a delta(t) in the input so x'(0-) and x'(0+) cannot be the same. x'(0+)=x'(0-)+1

Why not take Laplace transforms?

Related to An ODE involving delta function

What is an ODE involving delta function?

An ODE involving delta function is a type of ordinary differential equation that involves the Dirac delta function, which is a mathematical concept used to represent a pulse or spike in a system. These types of equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with sudden changes or impulses.

What is the solution to an ODE involving delta function?

The solution to an ODE involving delta function depends on the specific equation and boundary conditions. In many cases, the solution involves a combination of regular functions and the Dirac delta function itself. The solution can also be expressed in terms of an integral involving the delta function.

What is the physical interpretation of an ODE involving delta function?

The physical interpretation of an ODE involving delta function is that it represents a system with a sudden or impulsive change. This can represent a physical event such as a collision or a sudden input into a system. The delta function acts as a mathematical tool to model these changes in a precise way.

What are some real-world applications of ODEs involving delta function?

ODEs involving delta function have many real-world applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used to model systems with sudden changes, such as collisions, explosions, or electrical circuits with sudden inputs. They are also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in potential wells.

What are some techniques for solving ODEs involving delta function?

There are several techniques for solving ODEs involving delta function, including separation of variables, Laplace transforms, and Green's functions. Each method has its own advantages and is used depending on the specific equation and boundary conditions. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate the solution.