An object in motion going over a jump. Physics of height and distance traveled.

In summary, the conversation revolved around a person who was impressed by the intellect found in a physics forum and was seeking help in calculating the height and distance traveled by an object in motion over a jump. They provided the details of their own experience and a link was shared for a website that could help solve the equation.
TwerpBassMan
Firstly, I've been going over your forums for about fifteen minutes, and am taken aback by the intellect I have come across. I never took physics, but wish I had. Right out of high school, I went into construction, and never got the chance to go to college. I was always good at everyday Algebra and Geometry, but just didn't get to take it to the next level. I was a bit lazy then, and didn't try to better myself.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could help me out by letting me know if there is an equation for finding out the height, and distance traveled by an object in motion going over a jump. I took a jump on an ATV a few years ago, and have wondered since then exactly how high, and far I traveled mid-air. If there is no equation, then I guess I will just have to keep wondering.

I was traveling about 55 miles per hour, in an 800 pound four-wheeler, and hit a jump that had a height of approximately 30 inches, and an estimated angle of 25 degrees. I weigh around 175 pounds, so the total weight was around 975.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Jessie

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to An object in motion going over a jump. Physics of height and distance traveled.

1. What is the physics behind an object going over a jump?

When an object is in motion, it has kinetic energy. When the object goes over a jump, it experiences a change in height and therefore a change in potential energy. The force of gravity acts on the object, pulling it towards the ground and causing it to accelerate. The object's velocity and angle also play a role in the distance it will travel and the height it will reach.

2. How does the height of the jump affect the distance traveled?

The height of the jump directly affects the distance traveled by the object. This is because the higher the jump, the greater the potential energy the object has at the top of the jump. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the object falls, allowing it to travel a further horizontal distance.

3. What factors influence the distance traveled by an object going over a jump?

The distance traveled by an object going over a jump is influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and the height of the jump. Other factors such as air resistance and the mass of the object can also play a role.

4. Is there an optimal angle for maximizing the distance traveled over a jump?

Yes, there is an optimal angle for maximizing the distance traveled over a jump. This angle is known as the "launch angle" and it varies depending on the initial velocity of the object. Generally, a launch angle between 40-45 degrees will result in the maximum distance traveled for most objects.

5. How does air resistance affect an object going over a jump?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on an object going over a jump. As the object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force can decrease the object's velocity and alter its trajectory, ultimately affecting the distance it travels and the height it reaches.