An identity of hyperbolic functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the formula $$(\cosh(x)+\sinh(x))^n=\cosh(nx)+\sinh(nx)$$ using Newton's binomial theorem and the properties of hyperbolic functions. The use of complex numbers and induction is also mentioned. The conversation also explores the simplification of $\cosh(x)+\sinh(x)$ to $e^x$ and the redundancy of the prefix $2^{n-1}$.
Karol
Prove: ##(\cosh(x)+\sinh(x))^n=\cosh(nx)+\sinh(nx)##
Newton's binomial: ##(a+b)^n=C^0_n a^n+C^1_n a^{n-1}b+...+C^n_n b^n## and: ##(a-b)^n~\rightarrow~(-1)^kC^k_n##
I ignore the coefficients.
$$(\cosh(x)+\sinh(x))^n=\cosh^n(x)+\cosh^{n-1}\sinh(x)+...+\sinh^n(x)$$
$$\cosh^n(x)=(e^x+e^{-x})^n=e^{nx}+e^{(n-2)x}+e^{(n-4)x}+...+e^{-nx}$$
$$\cosh^{n-1}\sinh(x)=(e^x+e^{-x})^{n-1}(e^x-e^{-x})=...=e^{nx}-e^{-nx}$$
I use this result in the next derivations:
$$\cosh^{(n-2)}x\sinh^2(x)=[(e^x+e^{-x})^{n-1}(e^x-e^{-x})](e^x-e^{-x})=...=e^{nx}+e^{-nx}-e^{(n-2)x}-e^{-(n-2)x}$$
$$\cosh^{(n-3)}x\sinh^3(x)=[(e^x+e^{-x})^{n-1}(e^x-e^{-x})](e^x-e^{-x})^2=...=e^{nx}-e^{-nx}+2e^{-(n-2)x}+e^{(n-4)x}-2e^{(n-2)x}-e^{-(n-4)x}$$
It doesn't lead anywhere

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You cannot "ignore the coefficients". They are important.

Can you use complex numbers?

Did you try induction?

I ignored coefficients to see if my method brings me somewhere, later i would have considered them.
I don't know complex numbers good, i will try to learn. the same for induction

Karol said:
I ignored coefficients to see if my method brings me somewhere, later i would have considered them.
I don't know complex numbers good, i will try to learn. the same for induction

What is ##cosh(x) + sinh(x)##? Maybe it's something quite simple?

Likes mfb and micromass
$$\cosh(x)+\sinh(x)=2e^x~~\rightarrow~~(\cosh(x)+\sinh(x))^n=(2e^x)^n=2^ne^{nx}=2^{n-1}(\cosh(nx)+\sinh(nx))$$
The prefix ##2^{n-1}## is redundant

$$\cosh(x)+\sinh(x)=e^x$$

$$\cosh(x)+\sinh(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^x+e^{-x})+\frac{1}{2}(e^x-e^{-x})=e^x$$
Thank you PeroK and mfb

Karol said:
The prefix ##2^{n−1}## is redundant

not redundant, simply there isn't ...

Related to An identity of hyperbolic functions

1. What are hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions are mathematical functions that are related to the hyperbola, a type of curve that resembles two branches opening up from a central point. They are defined by the ratios of exponential functions, similar to how circular functions are defined by ratios of trigonometric functions.

2. How do hyperbolic functions differ from trigonometric functions?

While trigonometric functions are used to describe circular motion, hyperbolic functions are used to describe hyperbolic motion. In terms of their equations, hyperbolic functions involve the exponential function e, while trigonometric functions involve the circular function sin.

3. What is the identity of hyperbolic functions?

The identity of hyperbolic functions refers to a set of equations that relate the six main hyperbolic functions to each other. These equations are similar to the Pythagorean identities in trigonometry, and they are used to simplify and solve problems involving hyperbolic functions.

4. What are some common applications of hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to describe hyperbolic motion in physics, model the shape of a hanging chain or cable in engineering, and solve differential equations in mathematics.

5. Are there any real-life examples of hyperbolic functions?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of hyperbolic functions. One well-known example is the catenary curve, which describes the shape of a hanging chain or cable. Other examples include the shape of a saddle, the trajectory of a projectile under the influence of air resistance, and the motion of a particle in a magnetic field.