An example of a series that diverges and exhibits no pattern?

In summary, the conversation discusses examples of series that exhibit no pattern, as well as characteristics and tests for identifying such series. Examples include defining a sub n as the n-th decimal digit of pi, and the series sum of a sub n, which diverges, and the series sum of a sub n divided by n squared, which converges. Another example is the series sum of 1 divided by the nth prime number, which also diverges. The conversation also mentions Liouville numbers as a universal example of such a series.
Permanence
Hi I was hoping someone could provide me with a couple examples of series that exhibit no pattern. In my course we only cover divergence that involves the limit tending to infinity or oscillation. My textbook informs me that in some rare cases no pattern may be exhibited, but doesn't list any examples. I'm drawing a blank on brainstorming.

Thanks!

PS
Also are there any specific characteristics or tests that would clue me into knowing that it exhibits no patterns.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about if you define ##a_n## to be the ##n##'th decimal digit of ##\pi##?

Then this series diverges:
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n$$
because the terms do not converge to zero, and this series converges
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{a_n}{n^2}$$
by comparison with ##\sum 10/n^2##.

Gah I feel so stupid. I've seen that specific example before, but I never really thought about it that way. In our class we've always defined a(sub)n to be a particular function that we've seen before.

Thank you Jbunniii for the swift response!

How about:
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^\infty \frac{1}{p_n}[/tex]
where p_n is the nth prime number? I think this also diverges.

Permanence said:
Gah I feel so stupid. I've seen that specific example before, but I never really thought about it that way. In our class we've always defined a(sub)n to be a particular function that we've seen before.

Thank you Jbunniii for the swift response!

For education a Liouville number is the universal example of such a series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liouville_number

Related to An example of a series that diverges and exhibits no pattern?

1. What is a series that diverges?

A series that diverges is a sequence of numbers that does not converge to a finite limit. In other words, the sum of the terms in the series does not approach a specific value and the series continues to grow without bound.

2. What does it mean for a series to exhibit no pattern?

When a series exhibits no pattern, it means that the terms in the series do not follow a predictable rule or trend. Each term in the series appears to be random and there is no discernible pattern or relationship between the terms.

3. Can a series both diverge and exhibit no pattern?

Yes, a series can both diverge and exhibit no pattern. In fact, many divergent series do not follow a specific pattern and their terms may seem random or chaotic.

4. What are some examples of series that diverge and exhibit no pattern?

One example is the harmonic series, which is the sum of the reciprocals of the positive integers. Another example is the alternating harmonic series, where the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative but the series still diverges.

5. Why is it important to understand series that diverge and exhibit no pattern?

Studying divergent series that exhibit no pattern can help us better understand the behavior of infinite sequences and series. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, where divergent series are often encountered in calculations involving infinite sums.