An equation for the path that the shark will swim on

In summary, the shark will follow the path of greatest increase of blood concentration in water, which is in the direction of the most rapidly increasing concentration.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

[/B]
A shark will in the direction of the most rapidly increasing concentration of blood in water.

Suppose a shark is at a point [itex]x_0,y_0[/itex] when it first detects blood in the water. Find an equation for the path that the shark will follow by setting up and solving a differential equation.

Homework Equations

[itex]C(x,y) = e^{-(x^2+2y^2)/10^4}[/itex]: blood conc. in ppm at (x,y)

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\nabla C(x,y) = \left<-xe^{-(x^2+2y^2)/5\times 10^7},-ye^{-(x^2+2y^2)/2.5\times 10^7}\right>[/itex] will give the vector in the direction of greatest increase of [blood] at any given (x,y).

Thus [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{\partial C}{\partial y}}{\frac{\partial C}{\partial x}}[/itex] will be the tangent to the curve of the path of the shark at any given point (x,y), which we can set up as our differential equation and solve by separation of variables.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y}{x}e^{-(x^2+2y^2)/5\times 10^7}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y}{x}e^{-x^2/5\times 10^7}e^{-2y^2/5\times 10^7}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{y}e^{2y^2/5\times 10^7}dy = \frac{1}{x}e^{-x^2/5\times 10^7}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{y}e^{2y^2/5\times 10^7}dy = \int \frac{1}{x}e^{-x^2/5\times 10^7}dx[/tex]

I can't solve this last equation. I can't figure out how to do the integration, and CASs (like Matlab and Mathematica) show me something called ei() and series expansions that I don't understand, and that I'm fairly sure are not the answer the textbook intended.

I've tried parametrizing the dy/dx function as per elliptic parametrization which gives

[tex]m(t) = \frac{1}{2} \tan{t} e^{-(2\cos^2{t}+\sin^2{t})/10^8}[/tex]

But integrating that wrt t is just as problematic.

Is there something with taking the natural logs of both sides that I can do to eliminate that exponential function?

How do I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Something went wrong with your derivatives. That makes the integral harder than it should be.

Likes kostoglotov
mfb said:
Something went wrong with your derivatives. That makes the integral harder than it should be.

I found the derivatives using Matlab's gradient() function.

I'll take them manually. See how I go...thanks :)

mfb said:
Such a stupid oversight...thanks again!

Related to An equation for the path that the shark will swim on

1. What is the equation for the path that a shark will swim on?

The equation for the path that a shark will swim on is known as the Lévy flight pattern. It is a mathematical model that describes the movement of animals, including sharks, in search of resources. The equation is based on a random walk pattern where the animal takes small, frequent steps interspersed with occasional long jumps.

2. How is the equation for the shark's path determined?

The equation for the shark's path is determined by various factors including the shark's natural instincts, environmental conditions, and availability of resources. It is also influenced by the shark's hunting strategy and its ability to detect prey. Scientists use data from tracking devices and observations to determine the specific equation for each shark species.

3. Can the equation predict the exact path of a shark?

No, the equation cannot predict the exact path of a shark. It is a mathematical model that provides a general understanding of the shark's movement pattern. The equation takes into account various variables, but it cannot account for unexpected changes in the shark's behavior or external factors such as human interference.

4. How does the equation for the shark's path affect conservation efforts?

The equation for the shark's path can provide valuable insights for conservation efforts. By understanding the movement patterns of sharks, scientists can identify critical habitats and migration routes that are important for their survival. This information can help inform conservation efforts and aid in the protection of shark populations.

5. Is the equation for the shark's path applicable to all shark species?

No, the equation for the shark's path may not be applicable to all shark species. Each species has its own unique behaviors and environmental factors that can affect their movement patterns. While the Lévy flight pattern may be a common trend among many shark species, there may be some variations and exceptions depending on the specific species and their habitats.