An easy textbook means I feel unprepared

In summary, the speaker is a physics student who is about to finish their lower division classes and transfer to UCLA. They feel unprepared for the upper division courses and believe that the textbook used in their lower division classes oversimplified the mathematics. They plan to work through Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences book over the summer and are seeking recommendations for other books to read. Other physics students recommend Boas and Riley, Hobson & Bence as good resources. They also suggest focusing on topics like vector calculus, linear algebra, and partial differential equations. The speaker is reassured that their lack of preparation is not due to their math skills, but rather the focus on learning physics and problem solving in the introductory courses. They are also reminded
ppfn
I'm currently about to finish (next week!) my lower division physics classes and move on to the upper division courses while transferring from a junior college to UCLA. I feel utterly and completely unprepared for what lies ahead.

I feel like the textbook we used (Fundamentals of Physics, 9th Ed) grossly oversimplified the mathematics that should be used for these courses. Is this a normal feeling since I'm transferring in the Fall and I have no idea what to expect, or should I really be worried?

I'm going to work through Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences book over the Summer with my fellow physics majors, are there any other books you would recommend reading / working through before moving on to the upper division courses?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't go far wrong with Boas. It's what I use, covers pretty much everything you'll need in an undergrad theory degree. I also use Riley, Hobson & Bence (Mathematical methods for physics and engineering). It's a bit less dry compared to Boas and is great for introducing yourself to topics although i'd say Boas is perhaps more detailed/rigourous.

If you're wanting to brush up a bit on the funamentals focus on topics like vector calculus, LA and PDEs. If you're going to be doing more advanced courses you might want to look at calculus of variations and a bit of complex analysis (contour integrals etc).

If you're unprepared, it is not because of the math as long as the course was calculus based. The point of an introductory physics sequence is not to learn advanced math - it's to learn the physics and problem solving.

Fundamentals of Physics (Halliday/Resnick/Walker) is a very common textbook for the calculus-based intro physics sequence, and is typical of the level used in those courses. I used it myself in freshman physics forty years ago (when it was just Halliday/Resnick), and I ended up with a Ph.D.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. You've helped to calm my transfer nerves. :-p

Related to An easy textbook means I feel unprepared

1. Why do people feel unprepared when using an easy textbook?

People may feel unprepared when using an easy textbook because it may not cover all the necessary information or may not challenge them enough. This can lead to a lack of confidence and a fear of not being fully prepared for exams or real-world applications.

2. How can using an easy textbook affect learning?

Using an easy textbook can hinder learning as it may not provide enough depth or complexity to fully understand a subject. It may also lead to a false sense of mastery, making it difficult to apply knowledge in different contexts.

3. Is it better to use an easy textbook or a challenging one?

It depends on the individual's learning style and goals. While an easy textbook may be less intimidating, a challenging one can provide a more thorough understanding of a subject and better preparation for future learning.

4. How can one overcome feeling unprepared when using an easy textbook?

One way to overcome this feeling is to supplement the easy textbook with additional resources such as online lectures, practice problems, or study groups. It is also important to actively engage with the material and seek out challenging tasks to improve understanding.

5. Are there any benefits to using an easy textbook?

Yes, an easy textbook can be helpful for introductory or foundational subjects, providing a broad overview and basic understanding. It can also be beneficial for individuals who struggle with a particular subject and need a simpler explanation to build their confidence before moving on to more challenging material.