An approximated lower bound of an expression.

In summary, the conversation discusses the summation of $i^{N}$ from 1 to $x$, where $N>2$, and whether there is an approximate lower bound for this summation. It is suggested that $ \frac{1}{N+1}x^{(N+1)}$ serves as a lower bound and a proof is provided. The conversation also delves into a similar problem and presents a fundamental identity for $S_{n,k}=\sum_{j = 1}^{n} j^{k}$. It is concluded that to prove the lower bound, one only needs to show that $\sum_{i=1}^{n}i^{k}>\int_{0}^{n
bincy
Hii All,

$ \sum_{i=1}^{x}i^{N}:N>2 $. Is there any approximated lower bound for the above summation? Is it > $ \frac{1}{N+1}x^{(N+1)}$ ? If yes, how to prove that?regards,
Bincy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bincybn said:
Hii All,

$ \sum_{i=1}^{x}i^{N}:N>2 $. Is there any approximated lower bound for the above summation? Is it > $ \frac{1}{N+1}x^{(N+1)}$ ? If yes, how to prove that?
Yes, that is true. You can find a proof here.

A similar interesting problem is proposed in...

Don't know how to proof it

Setting $\displaystyle S_{n,k}= \sum_{j = 1}^{n} j^{k}$ a fundamental identity is...

$\displaystyle \binom{k+1}{1}\ S_{n,1} + \binom{k+1}{2}\ S_{n,2} + ... + \binom{k+1}{k}\ S_{n,k} = (n+1)\ \{(n+1)^{k}-1\}$ (1)

... and (1) can be written as...$\displaystyle S_{n,k} = \frac{(n+1)\ \{(n+1)^{k}-1\} - \binom{k+1}{1}\ S_{n,1} - \binom{k+1}{2}\ S_{n,2} - ... - \binom{k+1}{k-1}\ S_{n,k-1}}{\binom{k+1}{k} }$ (2)

... i.e. $S_{n,k}$ is the sum of the term $\displaystyle \frac{(n+1)\ \{(n+1)^{k}-1\}} {\binom{k+1}{k}}$ and a linear combination of the $S_{n,1}$,$S_{n,2}$, ..., $S_{n,k-1}$. That means that $\displaystyle S_{n,1}= \frac{n\ (n+1)}{2}$, which divides the term $\displaystyle \frac{(n+1)\ \{(n+1)^{k}-1\}} {\binom{k+1}{k}}$, divides also all the $S_{n,k}$ for k>1...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Hii,
Thanks everyone.
Now I understand that, to prove only the lower bound, we don't have to do much. It is just $\sum_{i=1}^{n}i^{k}>\int_{0}^{n}x^{k}dx$ (Dividing the area of the curve into rectangles)

regards,
Bincy

Related to An approximated lower bound of an expression.

1. What is an approximated lower bound?

An approximated lower bound is a value that is calculated to be equal to or less than the actual minimum value of an expression. It is often used in mathematical and computational analysis to provide an estimate or approximation of the lowest possible value of a function or equation.

2. How is an approximated lower bound calculated?

An approximated lower bound is typically calculated using a variety of methods, such as mathematical formulas, algorithms, or computational techniques. The specific method used will depend on the complexity and nature of the expression being analyzed.

3. Why is it important to know the approximated lower bound of an expression?

Knowing the approximated lower bound of an expression can provide valuable information about the overall behavior and properties of the function or equation. It can also help in optimizing algorithms and making informed decisions in various fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science.

4. Can an approximated lower bound be equal to the actual minimum value?

Yes, an approximated lower bound can be equal to the actual minimum value of an expression. However, this is not always the case and the approximated lower bound is often a close estimate rather than an exact value.

5. Are there any limitations to using an approximated lower bound?

One limitation of using an approximated lower bound is that it may not provide an accurate representation of the actual minimum value for all values of the expression. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximated lower bound may vary depending on the method used to calculate it and the complexity of the expression being analyzed.