An applied force varies with position

In summary, the applied force in this scenario can be represented by the equation F = k1xn - k2, where n = 3, k1 = 2.4 N/m3, and k2 = 56 N. Using the integration equation w = ∫f(x) dx, where k1x^4/4 - 56x is the new equation, we can calculate the work done by this force on an object moving from xi = 5.13 m to xf = 28.2 m. The result is 377.7 kJ.
SonRuy
An applied force varies with position according to F = k1 xn− k2, where n = 3,
k1 = 2.4 N/m3, and k2 = 56 N.
How much work is done by this force on an object that moves from xi = 5.13 m to xf = 28.2 m?
Answer in units of kJ

i keep using the integration equation: w = ∫f(x) dx
where k1x^4/4 - 56x is the new equation which i plug 28.2m and 5.13m and subtract
i get 377736.527
but its wrong, help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your arithmetic, but you're attacking the problem in the right way. What's the correct answer that you aren't getting?

SonRuy said:
Answer in units of kJ

i keep using the integration equation: w = ∫f(x) dx
where k1x^4/4 - 56x is the new equation which i plug 28.2m and 5.13m and subtract
i get 377736.527
but its wrong, help please?

What is the unit of your result? You need to give the result in units of kJ.

ehild

About 1515 kJ?

Basic_Physics said:
About 1515 kJ?
No, I also get 377736; but that's J, so the answer should be 377.7kJ.

haruspex said:
No, I also get 377736; but that's J, so the answer should be 377.7kJ.

That is the correct result. Maybe it should be rounded to three digits: 378 kJ.

ehild

Ok. Left the /4 out.

Related to An applied force varies with position

1. What is an applied force?

An applied force is a type of force that is exerted on an object by another object. It can cause the object to accelerate or change its direction of motion.

2. How does an applied force vary with position?

An applied force can vary with position if the object is moving through different positions or if the force is being applied at different points on the object. For example, if a person is pushing a box across the floor, the applied force may vary depending on where they are pushing on the box.

3. What is the relationship between applied force and position?

The relationship between applied force and position can vary depending on the situation. In some cases, the applied force may increase or decrease as the position changes. In other cases, the applied force may stay constant regardless of the position.

4. How is an applied force measured?

An applied force can be measured using a force meter or scale. These tools measure the amount of force being exerted on an object and can provide a numerical value for the applied force.

5. Can an applied force be controlled?

Yes, an applied force can be controlled by adjusting the amount of force being applied or by changing the position at which the force is being applied. This can be useful in experiments or engineering applications where a specific amount of force is needed to achieve a desired result.