An aluminum cylinder with a steel wire attached

In summary, the system involves a steel wire that expands when heated, with the expansion being calculated using the thermal expansion equation. However, this equation must also account for the expansion of aluminum, leading to confusion for some individuals. The short cross pieces of wire are assumed to not bend and are treated as strong brackets. The cylinder does not affect the steel wire in any way, despite being a linear expansion. The coefficient of expansion for aluminum is questioned in relation to steel.
Dingleberg
b85dcea3-5110-4d1a-9a45-88a0f23dabc5
b85dcea3-5110-4d1a-9a45-88a0f23dabc5
tlz0T2A.png

Hi! So when this system gets heated, how does the wire expand if it is bent like that? Would it expand horizontally or vertically? Also, when calculating the stress for the wire, I know that I use the thermal expansion equation for dL of steel, but other people said that you have to also subtract that by dL of aluminum, why? I can't picture that in my head for some reason.

My process was:

Stress in wire = Y(αΔT)
and the answer I got was 2.4*10^7 N/m^2

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to assume that the short cross pieces of wire do not bend . Just treat them as very strong brackets .

Nidum said:
You have to assume that the short cross pieces of wire do not bend . Just treat them as very strong brackets .

Oh all right, but why does the cylinder affect the steel wire if this is a linear expansion? It does not push the brackets or steel wire in any sort of way.

Thank you for your response by the way :)

Is the coefficient of expansion for Aluminium more or less than that for steel ?

Related to An aluminum cylinder with a steel wire attached

1. What is the purpose of attaching a steel wire to an aluminum cylinder?

The purpose of attaching a steel wire to an aluminum cylinder is to create a stronger and more durable structure. The steel wire provides additional support and reinforcement to the aluminum cylinder, making it less likely to bend or break under pressure.

2. How does the combination of aluminum and steel affect the properties of the cylinder?

The combination of aluminum and steel creates a hybrid material with a unique set of properties. The aluminum provides a lightweight and corrosion-resistant structure, while the steel adds strength and rigidity. Together, they create a cylinder that is both strong and lightweight.

3. Can the steel wire be easily removed from the aluminum cylinder?

It depends on how the steel wire is attached to the aluminum cylinder. If it is welded or glued, it may be difficult to remove without damaging the cylinder. If it is simply wrapped or twisted around the cylinder, it may be easier to remove.

4. What applications are suitable for an aluminum cylinder with a steel wire attached?

This type of cylinder is commonly used in engineering and construction projects where a combination of strength and lightweight is needed. It is also used in the manufacturing of vehicles, such as bicycles and cars, as well as in the aerospace industry for aircraft and spacecraft components.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using an aluminum cylinder with a steel wire attached?

One potential disadvantage is that the steel wire may rust or corrode over time, which can weaken the structure and affect its performance. Additionally, this type of cylinder may be more expensive to produce compared to a single material cylinder. However, the benefits of the combination of aluminum and steel often outweigh these potential drawbacks.