An ACTUAL post: Integrating exp() over certain range

In summary, an ACTUAL urgent post: Integrating exp() over certain range asks for help solving a simplified integral involving two exponentially-wavefunctioned photons that overlap. The problem is that the first inequality is not true over the whole interval of integration, and the second inequality is only true if -b>b-a. The condition for the first is x> b-a, the condition for the second is x> -b. Just find the intersection of these intervals.
Baggio
An ACTUAL urgent post: Integrating exp() over certain range

Hi,

Simplified problem:

Suppose I have two exponentials

[tex]
\[
e^{ - (x + a - b)} \forall x + a -b> 0
\]
\[
e^{ - (x + b)} \forall x + b> 0
\]
[/tex]

Then suppose I wanted to integrate:

[tex]
\[
\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {e^{ - (x + b)} e^{ - (x + a - b)} dx}
\]
[/tex]

How would I do this? I'm guessing I need to break the integral up and integrate over a certain range but what are the limits?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those 2 first inequalities can not be true over the whole interval of integration..

Regardless, do you know how to simplify e^a * e^b? Use that identity, use a substitution and it should be evident from there.

Yes I know they can't be BOTH true, which is why I need to find the condition where they are both satisfied. a and b are real variables I don't understand your 2nd point

Neither of them can be true for all x in the interval of integration...And My second point helps with the actual integration.

...Why is that? Maybe I should have mentioned that each exp() is 0 otherwise.. integration isn't a problem it's the limits of integration that I need to find.

Essentially what this is isa simplified integral I'm trying to solve which describes two photons overlapping, each with an exponential wavefunction in the time domain. a an b describe offsets in time between the two. Regardless

If you plot out those two functions you can see that there should obviously be some range where they both coincide, the upper limit would be infinity and the lower limit is what I'm trying to find.

So you want to find out the interval where the both are not equal to zero. The condition for the first is x> b-a, the seconds is x > -b. Just find the intersection of these intervals.

I know, but this lower limit I'm trying to find would vary depending on whether -b>b-a if this is true -b would be the lower limit, otherwise b-a would be.

What conditions do you have on a and b? Since they are constants, you should be able to break this into cases.

For example, if a and b are both positive, b> a, then x+ a- b> 0 implies x> b- a> 0 while x+ b> 0 implies x> -b< 0. Those are both satisified if x> b-a.

If a and b are both positie and a> b, then x+ a-b> 0 implies x> b-a< 0 but b-a> -b. Again both are satisfied if x> b-a.

Hrm... allow me to speculate upon what you really meant.

The thing you are integrating isn't an exponential at all -- instead, it's the product of two piecewise-defined functions, where each function is exponential on one part and zero on the other part.

i.e. if we set

[tex]
f(x) = \begin{cases} e^x & x > 0 \\ 0 & x < 0 \end{cases}
[/tex]

then you are trying to simplify the definite integral

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(x + a - b) f(x + b) \, dx.
[/tex]

Is my speculation correct?

Hurkyl yes that's correct, as for a and b they can take any real value and are not dependent on each other. The function that I posted at the beginning is part of a larger function that I want to eventually plot as a function of a and b. x in this case is like a dummy variable over which I need to integrate. I've only included the real part of the functions I'm trying to integrate as this is the only part that determines the limits of integration. In the end I want to integrate:

[tex]
\int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\left| {f(x + a - b)f(x + b)} \right|^2 \,dx}
\]
[/tex]

Last edited:
When integrating a piecewise-defined function by breaking into pieces, it should be clear what pieces to use: the individual pieces in the piecewise definition!

I understand that but how do I obtain a general expression for the limits when a and b are independent of each other?

Baggio said:
I know, but this lower limit I'm trying to find would vary depending on whether -b>b-a if this is true -b would be the lower limit, otherwise b-a would be.

Why not solve it for each case, separately? Then list the two solutions, according to which condition holds.

Because I know what the final answer should be and it is just a single expression so it should be possible to have a single expression for the simplified form in post #1

Last edited:
Baggio said:
Because I know what the final answer should be and it is just a single expression so it should be possible to have a single expression for the simplified form in post #1
Perhaps if you worked out the separate solutions, you would then find they are equivalent.

yes i think i need to do that , i'll try that and get back to you

Related to An ACTUAL post: Integrating exp() over certain range

1. What is the purpose of integrating exp() over a certain range?

The purpose of integrating exp() over a certain range is to find the area under the curve of the exponential function within that specific range. This can be used to solve various mathematical and scientific problems, such as calculating probabilities and growth rates.

2. How is the integration of exp() different from other functions?

The integration of exp() is different from other functions because it is its own derivative. This means that when you integrate exp(), you get back the same function. Additionally, the integration of exp() is often used in various areas of science, such as physics and chemistry, due to its ability to accurately model natural phenomena.

3. What is the process for integrating exp() over a certain range?

The process for integrating exp() over a certain range involves using various integration techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts. The specific technique used will depend on the form of the exponential function and the range of integration. It is also important to establish proper limits of integration to accurately calculate the area under the curve.

4. Can the integration of exp() be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the integration of exp() is commonly used in real-world problems, particularly in fields such as economics, biology, and engineering. It can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, and many other natural phenomena. By accurately integrating exp() over a certain range, scientists and mathematicians can make predictions and solve complex problems.

5. Are there any limitations to integrating exp() over a certain range?

One limitation to integrating exp() over a certain range is that it can be challenging to find closed-form solutions for some exponential functions. In these cases, numerical methods may need to be used to approximate the area under the curve. Additionally, the range of integration may need to be carefully chosen to avoid issues such as divergence or discontinuity in the function.