Amplitude of field with phasor components

In summary, when representing a time-varying field using phasors, the instantaneous amplitude can be found using phasor arithmetic and is equal to the square root of the sum of the squared real components of X, Y, and Z. The time-averaged amplitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squared root mean square values of X, Y, and Z. The total amplitude of the field is equal to the square root of the dot product of the complex conjugates of X, Y, and Z. This can also be visualized as a vector in six-dimensional space or in three-dimensional complex space.
misho
Let's say I have a field (electric or magnetic or something) and it's time-varying so I choose to represent its components as phasors.

Say the field is:
[tex]\vec{F} = X\hat{x} + Y\hat{y} + Z\hat{z}[/tex]

where, X, Y and Z are complex numbers.

Now, I want to find the amplitude of the field. If X, Y and Z were real (time constant field), I'd just go:

[tex]F = \sqrt{X^2 +Y^2 +Z^2}[/tex]

but I have no idea what to do here. Also, I'm not sure if there's an easy way to do this or not. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
It works just like phasor arithmetic for electronic circuits. The instantaneous amplitude will be

[tex]f = \sqrt{\Re (X)^2 + \Re (Y)^2 + \Re (Z)^2}[/tex]

The time-averaged amplitude is

[tex]F_{avg} = \sqrt{X_{rms}^2 + Y_{rms}^2 + Z_{rms}^2} = \sqrt{\frac{X^*X + Y^*Y + Z^*Z}{2}}[/tex]

where [itex]X^*[/itex] is the complex conjugate of X.

Lastly, the total amplitude of F is

[tex]|\vec F| = \sqrt{\vec F^* \cdot \vec F} = \sqrt{X^*X + Y^*Y + Z^*Z}[/tex]

This is the magnitude of a vector in six-dimensional space, which rotates around on a 5-sphere such that its projections along the six axes are equal to the real and imaginary components of each of X, Y, and Z.

(Alternatively, you can think of F as living in three-dimensional complex space, such that its projection on each of the three complex axes gives the three complex numbers X, Y, and Z).

Thanks a lot! Answers my question perfectly.

Related to Amplitude of field with phasor components

What is the amplitude of a field with phasor components?

The amplitude of a field with phasor components is the maximum value of the field's magnitude at a given point. It represents the strength or intensity of the field at that point.

How is the amplitude of a field with phasor components calculated?

The amplitude of a field with phasor components is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary components of the phasor.

Why is the amplitude of a field with phasor components important?

The amplitude of a field with phasor components is important because it allows us to determine the maximum strength of the field at a specific point. It is also used in various calculations and analyses in fields such as electromagnetism and signal processing.

How does the amplitude of a field with phasor components change over time?

The amplitude of a field with phasor components can change over time due to the changing magnitude and phase of the components. This is known as the "phasor rotation" and can be represented by a circular motion on a complex plane.

Can the amplitude of a field with phasor components be negative?

No, the amplitude of a field with phasor components cannot be negative as it represents the magnitude of the field, which is always a positive value.