Amplitude of equation of motion

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving forced oscillations and finding the amplitude without knowing the frequency. The equation for the oscillations is mx_double_dot+rx_dot+kx=Pcos(Ωt) and the question is how to solve for the amplitude. One participant mentions that the equation is strongly damped and the amplitude will decrease quickly. Another suggests finding the natural frequency and damping ratio to solve for the amplitude envelope, which is a decaying exponential. The conversation also mentions using a computer to solve for the frequency between certain amplitudes.
jimmy42
Hello,

I have worked out some force diagrams for forced oscillations and ended up with the solution as :

mx_double_dot+rx_dot+kx=Pcos(Ωt)

I am now asked to work out the amplitude. I know all of the variables except frequency(Ω). What equations can I use to find that?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]m\ddot{x}+r\dot{x}+kx=P\cos(\omega t)[/tex]
... to see how the amplitude behaves, you'll need to solve the equation.
The driving frequency is something you'd normally be given.

I don't see a damping term - what do you think is likely to happen to the amplitude of the oscillations?

I have worked out that this is a strongly dampered equation, so I expect the amplitude to die down quickly.

So, without frequency, this cannot be done? The question I have is to get the amplitude in order to solve the frequency between certain amplitudes. That last part can be done on the computer.

Oh I misread it - OK. So you have determined the system is overdamped which simplifies things - you need to find the natural frequency and damping ratio.

You don't need the driving frequency to find the amplitude envelope - it's a decaying exponential: compare your equation with the general solutions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator#Driven_harmonic_oscillators

Related to Amplitude of equation of motion

1. What is the amplitude of an equation of motion?

The amplitude of an equation of motion refers to the maximum displacement or distance that a vibrating object moves from its equilibrium position. It is represented by the variable "A" in the equation.

2. How is amplitude related to frequency in an equation of motion?

Amplitude and frequency are inversely proportional in an equation of motion. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation A = k/f, where k is a constant.

3. What are the units of amplitude in an equation of motion?

The units of amplitude depend on the type of motion being described. For simple harmonic motion, the units of amplitude are meters (m). For other types of motion, such as rotational motion, the units may be radians (rad) or degrees (°).

4. How does the amplitude affect the energy of an object in motion?

The amplitude of an equation of motion is directly related to the energy of an object in motion. As the amplitude increases, so does the energy. This is because the object is moving a greater distance from its equilibrium position, which requires more energy.

5. Can the amplitude of an equation of motion be negative?

Yes, the amplitude of an equation of motion can be negative. This occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction from its equilibrium position. However, in most cases, the amplitude is represented as a positive value, regardless of the direction of motion.