Ampere's Law and straight wires

In summary, the conversation discusses two long, straight wires parallel to the x axis with currents of 19 A in opposite directions. The magnetic field at a specific point on the y axis is calculated using the formula B=[(mu_o)I]/2pi*r, with one component being negative and the other positive. The final answer for y = −3.7 cm is determined to be negative and the individual's error is identified and resolved.
krtica
The figure below shows two long, straight wires in the xy plane and parallel to the x axis. One wire is at y = −6.0 cm and the other wire is at y = +6.0 cm. The current in each wire is 19 A. If the currents are both in the −x direction, find the magnetic field at the following points on the y axis.

http://www.webassign.net/tipler6/27-p-025.gif

(a) y = −3.7 cm

BL=(mu_o)I
B=[(mu_o)I]/2pi*r

-{(mu_o)I/2pi(distance-point)}+{(mu_o)I/2pi(distance+point)}, so the answer should be negative

My answer is somewhere around -.12602 T, which is wrong. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your calculations.

I found my error. Thank you for replying.

Related to Ampere's Law and straight wires

1. What is Ampere's Law and how is it related to straight wires?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the permeability of free space multiplied by the total current passing through the loop. In the case of straight wires, the law can be used to calculate the magnetic field around the wire based on the current flowing through it.

2. How does Ampere's Law differ from Faraday's Law?

Ampere's Law relates the magnetic field to the electric current, while Faraday's Law relates the electric field to the changing magnetic field. Both laws are fundamental principles of electromagnetism and are used to understand and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

3. Can Ampere's Law be used to calculate the magnetic field inside a straight wire?

No, Ampere's Law is only valid for calculating the magnetic field outside of a current-carrying wire. Inside the wire, the magnetic field is not constant and cannot be calculated using this law.

4. How can Ampere's Law be applied to multiple straight wires?

Ampere's Law can be applied to multiple straight wires by considering the magnetic field due to each wire separately and then adding them together using vector addition. This allows for the calculation of the total magnetic field around the wires.

5. Does Ampere's Law hold true for all types of materials?

Yes, Ampere's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and holds true for all types of materials, as long as the electric current is flowing through them. However, the value of the permeability of free space may vary for different materials, leading to variations in the strength of the magnetic field calculated using this law.