Ampere's Law and Magnetic Fields

In summary, the problem involves a zero-resistance rod sliding on two zero-resistance rails separated by a distance of 0.53 m. The rails are connected by a 10.9-Ω resistor and the system is in a uniform magnetic field with a magnitude of 0.750 T. The task is to find the force needed to maintain a constant current of 0.125 A in the resistor and the rate of energy dissipation in the resistor. The formulas used are F=IxBxl for part (a), P=I^2xR for part (b), and P=Fxvelocity for part (c). The resulting force is 0.05 N and the units for the force are in Tesla
zzyzz

Homework Statement

The figure shows a zero-resistance rod sliding to the right on two zero-resistance rails separated by the distance L = 0.53 m. The rails are connected by a 10.9-Ω resistor, and the entire system is in a uniform magnetic field with a magnitude of 0.750 T.

23-33.gif

(a) Find the force that must be exerted on the rod to maintain a constant current of 0.125 A in the resistor.

(b) What is the rate of energy dissipation in the resistor?

(c) What is the mechanical power delivered to the rod?

Homework Equations

a.) F=I x B x length
b.) P=I^2 x R
c.) P= F x velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

This sort of problem has not been covered in lecture yet and I am having difficulties with it. I found these formulas in the book and I think they apply for these situations but I am not sure. For part A of the problem I tried plugging in .125A for the current, .53m for the length, and .750T for the magnitude. Which gave me F=(.125)(.750)(.53)=.05 . This answer is off by a multiple of 10. I'm assuming my mistake is with the units of B because I have not worked with this before. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, zzyzz. Your work looks correct to me. Be sure to include the proper unit for the force. Tesla (T) is the SI unit for B, so there is no need to do any unit conversion. The only way that I can see that your answer would be wrong is if you misread a number given in the problem.

Related to Ampere's Law and Magnetic Fields

1. What is Ampere's Law and how does it relate to magnetic fields?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It states that the integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through the loop multiplied by a constant. In other words, it shows that electric currents create magnetic fields.

2. How do you calculate the magnetic field strength using Ampere's Law?

To calculate the magnetic field strength using Ampere's Law, you need to know the current passing through a closed loop and the distance from the loop to the point where you want to calculate the magnetic field. Using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance, you can determine the magnetic field strength at that point.

3. What is the difference between Ampere's Law and Gauss's Law?

Ampere's Law deals with the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields, while Gauss's Law deals with the relationship between electric charges and electric fields. They are similar in that they both involve closed loops or surfaces, but they apply to different physical phenomena.

4. Can Ampere's Law be used for non-closed loops?

No, Ampere's Law can only be used for closed loops. This is because the law relies on the concept of a closed loop encircling a current, which allows for the calculation of the magnetic field strength at a point outside the loop.

5. How does Ampere's Law explain the behavior of magnetic fields around a current-carrying wire?

Ampere's Law explains the behavior of magnetic fields around a current-carrying wire by showing that the magnetic field lines form concentric circles around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases, and the direction of the field can be determined using the right-hand rule.