Ambiguous Electric-Field magnitude

• Thread starter PHYHelp519
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the problem involves two charges, +Q and -Q, located at x = -a and x = +a on the x-axis respectively. Point P is located at x = +b, where b > a. The task is to find the electric field magnitude at P and determine its direction. Using the equation E=kqr/r^3, the magnitude of the electric field is determined to be 4kQab/(b^2 - a^2)^2. The direction of the electric field is towards the negative charge, as determined by the student's attempt at a solution. However, the equation in red does not make sense and the student is seeking assistance from their teacher.
PHYHelp519

Homework Statement

On the x axis, charge +Q lies at x = -a and charge -Q lies at x = +a. Point P lies on the axis at
x = +b, where b > a. a) Work out the electric field magnitude of P b) What is the direction of this …field?

Homework Equations

E=kqr/r3

The Attempt at a Solution

E=2kQa/(b2-a2) + 2kQa/(b2-a2)=
Ep=4kQab/(b^2 - a^2)^2. My teacher said that the solution was correct, however my work was not.
For b, I determined the direction to be to the right towards the negative charge.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
PHYHelp519 said:

Homework Statement

On the x axis, charge +Q lies at x = -a and charge -Q lies at x = +a. Point P lies on the axis at
x = +b, where b > a. a) Work out the electric field magnitude of P b) What is the direction of this …field?

Homework Equations

E=kqr/r3

The Attempt at a Solution

E=2kQa/(b2-a2) + 2kQa/(b2-a2)=
Ep=4kQab/(b^2 - a^2)^2. My teacher said that the solution was correct, however my work was not.
For b, I determined the direction to be to the right towards the negative charge.

I would appreciate any assistance.

The equation in red does not make sense. What are a2, b2? Do you mean that the contribution is the same from both charges?

ehild

Related to Ambiguous Electric-Field magnitude

What is an ambiguous electric-field magnitude?

An ambiguous electric-field magnitude refers to a situation where the magnitude of an electric field is not clearly defined. This can happen when there are multiple sources of electric fields or when the electric field is changing rapidly over time.

How does an ambiguous electric-field magnitude affect scientific experiments?

An ambiguous electric-field magnitude can greatly affect scientific experiments as it can introduce unpredictable and inconsistent results. It can also make it difficult to accurately measure and analyze data.

What are some factors that can contribute to an ambiguous electric-field magnitude?

Factors such as overlapping electric fields, varying distances between charged particles, and changing magnetic fields can contribute to an ambiguous electric-field magnitude.

How can scientists minimize the effects of an ambiguous electric-field magnitude in their experiments?

To minimize the effects of an ambiguous electric-field magnitude, scientists can carefully control the sources of electric fields and use shielding or insulating materials to reduce interference. They can also use mathematical models to predict and account for any potential ambiguities.

What are some real-world applications of studying ambiguous electric-field magnitudes?

Studying ambiguous electric-field magnitudes can have practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, where interference from electric fields can disrupt signals. It can also be relevant in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing, where precise control of electric fields is crucial.