Amazon best seller item yet terrible reviews

• Thread starter sp3sp2sp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the top selling unlocked cell phone on Amazon, the Blu Vivio, which has received six negative reviews and a low rating of 2.5 stars. The conversation also mentions the concept of an unlocked cell phone and how it differs from locked phones purchased through a carrier. The conversation concludes with a reference to P.T. Barnum and the process of purchasing an unlocked iPhone through Apple.
sp3sp2sp
I need a new unlocked cell phone so I checked on amazon what other people buy. The number one selling phone is a Blu Vivio, yet it has 6 terrible reviews, for total of 2.5 stars. How does that phone end up as #1 selling unlocked cell phone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "P. T. Barnum."

Likes phinds and Tom.G
If it's the best selling and there are only 6 reviews, that tells me that not many owners are writing reviews.

Likes weirdoguy
What's an unlocked cell phone?

berkeman said:
What's an unlocked cell phone?
A phone that allows you to change carriers by swapping the SIM card. When you buy a phone at a discount from a carrier, under a contract so that you're paying off the rest of the cost of the phone as part of your monthly bill, the carrier locks it so you have to stay with them. After you've paid off the phone, you can ask the carrier to unlock it. There are apparently variations depending on the carrier and which technology the phone uses.

This CNET article is kind of old, but I think most of the details are probably still valid.

I bought my iPhone in an unlocked version by paying full price at an Apple Store, because I wanted to use it under my wife's existing Consumer Cellular plan. CC uses the AT&T network which uses GSM technology, so I had to specify my phone as a GSM model. It came without a SIM card, which I had to buy from CC and then activate as part of my wife's plan. Actually I bought the card at a Sears store, which sells CC SIM cards.

Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman

Related to Amazon best seller item yet terrible reviews

What makes an item an "Amazon best seller"?

An Amazon best seller is a product that has the highest sales in its category on Amazon. It can also be determined by the product's rank on Amazon's Best Sellers list, which is updated hourly.

Why do some Amazon best sellers have terrible reviews?

There are a few reasons why an Amazon best seller may have terrible reviews. It could be due to a faulty or defective product, misleading product descriptions, or poor customer service from the seller. Additionally, some people may not be satisfied with the product even though it is a best seller.

Should I still consider purchasing an Amazon best seller with terrible reviews?

It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs. It's important to read the reviews and determine if the negative reviews are addressing issues that would affect your use of the product. It's also helpful to look at the overall rating and the percentage of negative reviews compared to positive reviews.

How can I determine if an Amazon best seller's reviews are trustworthy?

One way to determine if an Amazon best seller's reviews are trustworthy is to look at the "Verified Purchase" label on a review. This indicates that the reviewer actually purchased the product. It's also helpful to read a variety of reviews to get a well-rounded understanding of the product.

What should I do if I have a negative experience with an Amazon best seller item?

If you have a negative experience with an Amazon best seller item, you can try contacting the seller directly to address the issue. If that doesn't resolve the problem, you can also leave a review to share your experience with others and potentially warn them about any issues you encountered.