Amazing 3D Simulation on Screen | Low Cost Setup

In summary, the video demonstrates how to create a 3D effect with very low cost using a Wiimote and a webcam. This effect can be used for various applications such as medical training or gaming.
tim_lou
Man, I just found this video on youtube and the 3D effect is absolutely amazing... imagine playing a 3D shooting game with that! Furthermore, the effect can be done with very low cost as demonstrated in the video...

here is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whoa! That is absolutely stunning! I wish I had a wii!

I imagine there is a good application for this in medical training, and many other fields.

wow.. awesome!

I love how simple this is.

It's seriously awesome.

Welcome to the 21st century. People have been doing this long before the wii came out with simple hobby grade sensors. I personally like the "write anywhere" wii remote hack better though.

Thanks. This just might go to tomorrows shopping list.

robphy said:
To do what Johnny Chung Lee does in the video, you don't need a Wii... just the Wiimote.

You also need the light bar off the wii console (or at least a couple of LED's).

Wow! :bugeye:

NeoDevin said:
robphy said:
To do what Johnny Chung Lee does in the video, you don't need a Wii... just the Wiimote.
You also need the light bar off the wii console (or at least a couple of LED's).

Yep... infrared-LEDs... available at Radio Shack (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062565)... or in bulk at DealExtreme (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2399). The Radio Shack ones are better, but more expensive.

..and, of course, you'll need a bluetooth-adapter connected to a computer running software that interprets and processes the Wiimote sensor values. (By the way, the Wiimote also has a 3-axis accelerometer... which of course doesn't need any IR sources. I'm waiting for the Gyroscope attachment.)The point is one doesn't need the [expensive and possibly hard to find] Wii console.[By the way, you can achieve similar effects with a [modified] webcam and an IR-led.
You have to filter out the visible light reaching the webcam... and possibly remove the IR filter.
The advantage of using the Wiimote is that it has a dedicated onboard processor which tracks up to 4 points at about 100fps.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Amazing 3D Simulation on Screen | Low Cost Setup

1. What is the purpose of the 3D simulation on screen?

The purpose of the 3D simulation on screen is to provide a visual representation of a real-life or virtual environment in a realistic and interactive way.

2. How is the 3D simulation created?

The 3D simulation is created using specialized software and techniques such as computer-aided design (CAD), 3D modeling, and rendering. It involves creating a digital model of the environment and then adding textures, lighting, and other elements to make it appear realistic and immersive.

3. What kind of equipment is needed for the low-cost setup?

The low-cost setup for the 3D simulation on screen typically requires a computer or laptop with a good graphics card and sufficient processing power, a large high-resolution screen or projector, and 3D glasses. Additional peripherals such as a joystick or game controller may also be used for a more interactive experience.

4. What are the benefits of using a low-cost setup for 3D simulation?

Using a low-cost setup for 3D simulation allows for a more affordable and accessible way to experience and interact with virtual environments. It also allows for more flexibility and portability, as the setup can be easily assembled and disassembled as needed.

5. What potential applications can the 3D simulation on screen have?

The 3D simulation on screen can have a wide range of applications, including training and education, entertainment and gaming, product design and visualization, and even scientific research. It can also be used for virtual tours, simulations of real-life scenarios, and virtual prototyping for various industries.