Am I supposed to be thinking of the Pythagorean Theorem?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a vector equation and scalar equation involving vectors A, B, and C. The relationship between their magnitudes is described by the Pythagorean Theorem. To determine the orientation of vector A with respect to vector B, one can use dot products or solve the equations algebraically.
User Name
I can't seem to understand this problem. Could someone give me a hint as to what I'm supposed to be thinking?

Vectors A, B and C satisfy the vecotr equation A + B = C, and their magnitudes are related by the scalar equation A^2 + B^2 = C^2. How is vector A oriented with respect to vector B? Account for your answer.

Am I supposed to be thinking of the Pythagoream Theorum..?

Physics news on Phys.org
User Name said:
Am I supposed to be thinking of the Pythagoream Theorum..?

Yep, that's right.

You can use dot products too. In fact, I would advise trying sometime to do this problem strictly algebraically (i.e. no invoking your geometric knowledge!) just so you can get practice with your algebraic skills!

Related to Am I supposed to be thinking of the Pythagorean Theorem?

1. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical formula that states the relationship between the three sides of a right triangle. It states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. Why is the Pythagorean Theorem important?

The Pythagorean Theorem is important because it is used in many real-world applications, such as in construction, engineering, and navigation. It also serves as the basis for other mathematical concepts and theories.

3. Who discovered the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras, although there is evidence that it was known and used by other civilizations before him.

4. How can the Pythagorean Theorem be applied?

The Pythagorean Theorem can be applied in various ways, such as finding the missing side of a right triangle, determining if a triangle is a right triangle, and solving problems involving distance and height.

5. How can I use the Pythagorean Theorem in my daily life?

The Pythagorean Theorem can be used in everyday situations, such as measuring distances, calculating areas and volumes, and solving problems involving right angles. It can also be used to understand and solve more complex mathematical concepts.