Am I Getting the Hang of Relations

• Thread starter Learning_Math
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, the relation R on the set of real numbers is defined by xRy if (x < 0) or (x >= 0 and x = y). It is reflexive because for any x, x is always equal to itself. It is symmetric because if a positive y is chosen, it is symmetric due to the conditions of the relation, and the same applies for a negative y. It is also transitive because if xRy and yRz, then either x < 0 and xRz, or x >= 0 and x = y so xRz due to yRz.
Learning_Math
1. R on the set (the reals) defined by xRy iff (x < 0) or (x > or equal to 0 and x = y)

2. None

Reflexive - Yes, since no matter what x I choose, x will always be equal to x, and will therefore fit the conditions of the relation.

Symmetric - It is symmetric because if I choose a positive y, then it is symmetric because of (x > or equal to 0 and x = y). If I choose a negative y, it is symmetric because of (x < 0).

Transitive - I am a little unclear on this one. I think however, that it is transitive because if I choose a positive z, then it is transitive because of (y > or equal to 0 and y = z). If I choose a negative z, it is transitive because of (y < 0).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's symmetric. For example, it seems xRy but not yRx when x=-1 and y=1.

And I think you're right that it is transitive. However, it seems like you'd want to condition on x rather than z. That is, suppose xRy and yRz.
Then either x<0, in which case xRz. Or x>=0, in which case x=y so xRz because yRz.

That was helpful, thank you grief.

Related to Am I Getting the Hang of Relations

1. What does "getting the hang of relations" mean?

"Getting the hang of relations" refers to understanding and successfully navigating social interactions and relationships with others. It involves being able to communicate effectively, understand social cues and norms, and build and maintain healthy relationships.

2. How can I tell if I am getting better at relationships?

Some signs that you are getting better at relationships may include feeling more confident and comfortable in social situations, having more meaningful and fulfilling connections with others, and being able to resolve conflicts and communicate effectively.

3. Can anyone learn to be good at relationships?

Yes, anyone can learn and improve their skills in relationships. It takes effort and practice, but with self-awareness, willingness to learn and grow, and effective communication, anyone can become better at relationships.

4. Are there any scientific studies on improving relationships?

Yes, there have been numerous scientific studies on improving relationships. These studies have looked at different aspects of relationships, such as communication, conflict resolution, and building intimacy, and have identified strategies and techniques that can improve relationship skills.

5. How can I continue to improve my relationships?

Some ways to continue improving your relationships may include seeking feedback from others, practicing active listening and effective communication, being mindful of your own emotions and behaviors, and seeking out resources and support, such as therapy or relationship workshops.