AM/FM Radio Waves & Diffraction

In summary, AM and FM radio waves have different frequencies, with AM waves having a lower frequency and FM waves having a higher frequency. This difference in frequency affects how the waves travel and diffract. FM waves, which travel in a straight line, are more easily interfered by obstacles like mountains and walls, resulting in less clear reception in low lying valleys in mountainous regions. On the other hand, AM waves travel around these obstacles, making their reception clearer in such areas. However, with the invention of digital radio, which has better signal and quality, this difference in reception is becoming less significant.
kylepetten

Homework Statement

Typical AM radio waves usually have a frequency between 540 kHz and 1400 kHz. FM radio waves tend to have frequencies between 89 MHz and 105 MHz. Both types of waves travel at the speed of light. In terms of diffraction, use this information to help explain why in many low lying valleys in mountainous regions, AM reception is much clearer than FM reception.

Homework Equations

nil.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm not so sure. I know that the FM waves obviously have a higher frequency so I am guessing that the answer lies somewhere there. Could someone give me the jump-start that I need to get going on this question? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
try to explain it in terms of wavelength ..

I assume it is because of that am relies on amplitude and fm relies on frequency.

Last edited:
The key word is in your title..."diffraction".What is diffraction and which of the two waves diffract the most?

OK. this is why, FM radio broadcasts travel at a thing called "straight line". Thus they pretty much only travel at straight lines (Sort of, but you get the picture) so if anything like a mountain or a wall comes in its way it will be interfered. But AM doesn't do this, it travles around the mountain or wall. But they have invented a thing called digital radio. This is better quality to FM and has better signal. It is the same as digital television (if you know what that is).

Related to AM/FM Radio Waves & Diffraction

1. What are AM and FM radio waves?

AM and FM radio waves are two types of electromagnetic radiation used to transmit radio signals. AM stands for Amplitude Modulation, which means the strength of the signal is varied to carry information. FM stands for Frequency Modulation, which means the frequency of the signal is varied to carry information.

2. What is the difference between AM and FM radio waves?

The main difference between AM and FM radio waves is the way they carry information. AM waves vary the amplitude, or strength, of the signal to transmit information, while FM waves vary the frequency of the signal. This results in different sound quality and coverage areas for the two types of waves.

3. How do AM and FM radio waves travel through space?

AM and FM radio waves travel through space as electromagnetic radiation, which is a type of energy that does not require a medium to travel. They are transmitted from a broadcasting station and are picked up by radios using an antenna. The waves then travel through the air to reach the receiver's antenna.

4. What is diffraction and how does it affect AM and FM radio waves?

Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles or through openings. This can affect AM and FM radio waves by causing them to spread out and decrease in strength as they travel through obstacles, such as buildings or mountains. This can also cause interference with other radio waves, resulting in a weaker or distorted signal.

5. How does the frequency of radio waves affect their diffraction?

The frequency of radio waves does not significantly affect their diffraction. However, higher frequency waves, such as FM waves, may have shorter wavelengths and can be more easily absorbed or blocked by objects, resulting in a weaker signal compared to lower frequency waves, such as AM waves.