Alternative to SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry

In summary: If you want to learn more, you can start with Thomas' Calculus.In summary, the conversation discusses the popularity of SL Loney's Elements of Coordinate Geometry for entrance exams in India and the search for modern alternatives due to the outdated language in the book. Suggestions for books on coordinate geometry include Cengage or Arihant's entrance exam books and Thomas' Calculus, although it is noted that analytical geometry may not be necessary for electrical engineering.
issacnewton
Hello

In India, SL Loney's Elements of Coordinate Geometry is very popular for entrance examinations. I wanted to refresh my coordinate geometry, so tried reading through the book. But I found that the language used is old. I found myself referring to current material on the topic to properly understand what the author is saying. Does anybody know modern alternative book on coordinate geometry that would cover the same depth ? Please suggest both free and non-free material.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want it for entrance exams then I think Cengage or Arihant's entrance exam books on coordinate will suit your need.

IssacNewton said:
Hello

In India, SL Loney's Elements of Coordinate Geometry is very popular for entrance examinations. I wanted to refresh my coordinate geometry, so tried reading through the book. But I found that the language used is old. I found myself referring to current material on the topic to properly understand what the author is saying. Does anybody know modern alternative book on coordinate geometry that would cover the same depth ? Please suggest both free and non-free material.

Thanks

No you can't find any new books on Coordinate geometry. You can find coordinate geometry in calculus books.

(Ok there are some books but they are not worth reading as compared to SL Loney.)

Last edited:
Buffu, so what are Calculus books which cover substantial Coordinate Geometry ? Mastermind01, thanks for input.

IssacNewton said:
Buffu, so what are Calculus books which cover substantial Coordinate Geometry ? Mastermind01, thanks for input.
It depends on how much you need. You don't need much analytical geometry for EE.

Related to Alternative to SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry

1. What is SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry?

SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry is a textbook that covers the fundamentals of coordinate geometry, including topics such as straight lines, circles, conic sections, and transformations. It is a popular resource for students studying mathematics at the high school or college level.

2. Why would someone be looking for an alternative to SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry?

Some individuals may be looking for an alternative to SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry because they find the textbook difficult to understand or prefer a different teaching style. Additionally, the textbook may not cover all the topics needed for a particular course or may be too advanced for some students.

3. What are some alternatives to SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry?

There are several alternatives to SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry, including other textbooks such as "Coordinate Geometry" by SK Gupta and PK Joshi or "Coordinate Geometry for IIT-JEE" by SK Goyal. Online resources like Khan Academy and MathHelp.com also offer comprehensive lessons and practice problems on coordinate geometry.

4. How do I choose the best alternative to SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry?

The best alternative to SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry will depend on your individual learning style and needs. It is recommended to read reviews and compare different textbooks or online resources to determine which one best suits your needs. Additionally, you can ask for recommendations from your teacher or other students who have used different resources.

5. Can I use multiple alternatives to SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry?

Yes, you can use multiple alternatives to SL Loney's Coordinate Geometry, such as combining a textbook with online resources or using multiple textbooks. This can help reinforce your understanding of the material and provide different perspectives on the topics covered. However, it is important to make sure that all the resources cover the same topics and are aligned with your course syllabus.