Alternative energy related gifts

In summary, the conversation is about finding a Christmas present for someone interested in alternative energy technology. Suggestions include a magazine subscription, engineering society membership, or alternative energy apparel. Solar powered devices, such as security lights, are also mentioned as a potential gift.
Coin
Here is a cheesy question. I have a brother who does alternative energy research and hopes to get a job in the field when he graduates this year. (His specific area is something called "enhanced geothermal".) I am trying to figure out if there is some sort of Christmas present I could give him that would somehow be themed after or relevant to alternative energy technology or just energy technology in general. Like, for example, is there a magazine I could give him a subscription to, or an engineering society it would make sense to get him a membership in, or anything of the sort that comes to mind? (Other than "maybe some kind of magazine subscription?" I do not have a very clear idea what I am thinking of here.)

Physics news on Phys.org
A lump of coal.

Well played.

Budget?

signerror said:
A lump of coal.

Win.

Like your brother, I am a bit of an alternative energy nut. Except my area is fuel cells and hydrogen infrastructure instead of advanced geothermal. I think a good gift would be alternative energy apparel such as a geothermal t-shirt(s) or something. For example;

http://www.zazzle.com/politics/tl-alternative_energy

Save the planet!

dvs147672.jpg

There are all kinds of solar powered devices on the market. My current :smile: favorite is the solar security lights. You can mount them about anywhere and no wires are needed.

Related to Alternative energy related gifts

1. What exactly is alternative energy and why is it important?

Alternative energy refers to any energy source that is not derived from traditional fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, and natural gas. It includes renewable sources like solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass energy. Alternative energy is important because it offers a sustainable and environmentally friendly solution to meet our energy needs, reduces our dependence on fossil fuels, and helps mitigate the negative effects of climate change.

2. What are some examples of alternative energy related gifts?

Some examples of alternative energy related gifts include solar-powered gadgets like phone chargers, portable solar panels, and solar-powered lights. Other options include home energy efficiency kits, reusable water bottles, and eco-friendly clothing made from sustainable materials.

3. How do alternative energy related gifts benefit the environment?

Alternative energy related gifts benefit the environment by promoting the use of renewable energy sources and reducing our carbon footprint. By using solar-powered gadgets or energy efficiency kits, we can decrease our reliance on fossil fuels and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, eco-friendly gifts made from sustainable materials help to minimize waste and promote a circular economy.

4. Are alternative energy related gifts expensive?

The cost of alternative energy related gifts can vary depending on the type of gift and its features. Some options, like solar-powered gadgets, may be more expensive initially but can save money in the long run by reducing energy bills. However, there are also affordable options, such as reusable water bottles, that promote sustainable living without breaking the bank.

5. How can I find and purchase alternative energy related gifts?

There are many online retailers that specialize in alternative energy related gifts, such as sustainable living stores or eco-friendly marketplaces. You can also find these gifts in local stores that promote green living. It's important to do your research and read reviews before making a purchase to ensure the product aligns with your values and is of good quality.