Alternating series test problem

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with determining whether a given series decreases or not. The series in question is an alternating series in the form of a ratio with factorial terms in the denominator. The student has already used the ratio test to show that the series converges to zero, but is unsure about using the alternating series test. The expert suggests using the ratio test again, as it implies absolute convergence which eliminates the need for further testing. The expert also provides guidance on how to use the alternating series test if necessary.
jdawg

Homework Statement

n=1∑(-1)n[itex]\stackrel{10n}{(n+1)!}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found that the limit does equal zero by using the ratio test on bn. What I'm having trouble with is determining if it decreases or not. I know you can't take the derivative of a factorial... Does an exponential increase faster than a factorial?

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

n=1∑(-1)n[itex]\stackrel{10n}{(n+1)!}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found that the limit does equal zero by using the ratio test on bn. What I'm having trouble with is determining if it decreases or not. I know you can't take the derivative of a factorial... Does an exponential increase faster than a factorial?
Oops! I don't know what I did wrong trying to type that the first time. It's supposed to look like this:
(-1)n((10n)/(n+1)!)

FYI, to see how to typeset, right click this expression, and choose "Show Math As TeX Commands":
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n 10^n}{(n+1)!}$$
Then bracket the commands in double-dollar signs like so:
Code:
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n 10^n}{(n+1)!}$$
Note that if the ratio test succeeds, it implies absolute convergence.

Ohh! Thanks so much! I've been having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to format things correctly. So you wouldn't have to prove that it decreases? I thought that for the alternating series test you first had to prove that the limit equals zero, and then you had to prove that the series decreases?

jdawg said:
Ohh! Thanks so much! I've been having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to format things correctly. So you wouldn't have to prove that it decreases? I thought that for the alternating series test you first had to prove that the limit equals zero, and then you had to prove that the series decreases?
You only have to use the alternating series test if the series doesn't converge absolutely. Absolute convergence implies convergence, so there is no need for further testing. The ##(-1)^n## factor is irrelevant.

If you have to use the alternating series test you can. If ##a_n## is the nth term of your series then you want to show ##|a_{n+1}|<|a_n|##. That's the same as showing ##\frac{|a_{n+1}|}{|a_n|}<1##. That's not true for every n. But it only has to be true for large n. At what value of n does it become true? If you don't have to, then as jbunniii said, the ratio test is a better choice.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the help, I think I get it now :)

Related to Alternating series test problem

1. What is the alternating series test?

The alternating series test is a method for determining whether an infinite series, where the terms alternate in sign, converges or diverges.

2. How do you apply the alternating series test?

To apply the alternating series test, you must check that the terms in the series decrease in absolute value and approach zero, and the series satisfies the conditions of the Leibniz criterion.

3. What is the Leibniz criterion?

The Leibniz criterion states that for an alternating series to converge, the terms in the series must decrease in absolute value and approach zero.

4. Can the alternating series test be used to prove absolute convergence?

No, the alternating series test can only be used to determine conditional convergence, which means the series converges but not absolutely.

5. Are there any other tests that can be used to determine the convergence of an alternating series?

Yes, there are other tests such as the ratio test, root test, and integral test that can also be used to determine the convergence of an alternating series.