All spun out by the precession of tops

• Thread starter rubble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precession
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with a question about spinning tops in classical mechanics. They are struggling with calculating the angular frequency of the top's precession and have provided links for reference. They express gratitude for any help received.
rubble
hey anyone have any light to shed on the following:

trying to revise a bit of the old classical mechanics this week and stumbled on a question about spinning tops that i couldn't do..

the question gives you the dimensions of the top and asks you do sketch the subsequent motion of the top and then calculate the angular frequency at which the top will precess, any ideas?

i think I've sketched it correctly but the second bit has me.

any help greatly appreciated!

rob

Physics news on Phys.org
cheers guys, the internet is useful afterall

rubble

Related to All spun out by the precession of tops

1. What is the precession of tops?

The precession of tops is the phenomenon where a spinning top begins to wobble or tilt as it slows down, due to the force of gravity acting on its center of mass.

2. How does the precession of tops occur?

The precession of tops occurs because of the conservation of angular momentum. As the top slows down, the angular momentum must be conserved, causing the top to tilt and precess around its center of mass.

3. What factors affect the precession of tops?

The precession of tops can be affected by the speed of the top's rotation, the shape and weight distribution of the top, and the surface on which it is spinning.

4. Why is the precession of tops important in science?

The precession of tops is important in science because it demonstrates the principles of conservation of angular momentum and the effects of gravity on objects in motion. It also has practical applications, such as in gyroscopes and navigation systems.

5. How can the precession of tops be used in everyday life?

The precession of tops can be used in everyday life in various ways, such as in gyroscopic stabilization for cameras and drones, in steering mechanisms for vehicles, and in balancing and stabilizing machines and tools. It also has applications in sports, such as in the spinning of a football or frisbee.