All Laurent series expansion around 1.

In summary, the question is to find all Laurent series expansions of f(z)=z^4/(3+z^2) around 1. The attempt at a solution involves substituting z=u+1 and manipulating the function to get a polynomial and a geometric series. This leads to multiple Laurent series, each defined by the poles of the function and their corresponding regions. Reference to a resource for further understanding is also provided.
roy240

Homework Statement

Question is= Find all Laurent series expansion of f(z)=z^4/(3+z^2) around 1. I will be very very thankful if someone can help me to do this question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

can I assume (z-1=u) here and change the function in terms of $u$. then i will have

f(u+1)=(u+1)^4/(u+2)^2

It should have singularity at $u=-2$. now I m big confuse about in what regions I should compute Laurent series.

I have trouble of thinking that how many laurent series I will have and what will be the conditions on $z$.

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
first, subbing in for z = u+1
g(u) = f(u+1)=(u+1)^4/(3+(u+1)^2) =(u+1)^4/(u^2+ 2u +4)

there will be a laurent series for each disk about z-1 = u = 0 defined by the poles of the function

You've done the substitution to center the Laurent expansion around u=0, now draw a diagram, plotting the poles of the new function and draw the annuli these poles split the plane into. For each annuli, decide what the rule is for that region (eg 8< |u| < 23 or something).

The next part is a bit harder: Try to manipulate the expression you have ( [tex]\frac{ (u+1)^4}{(u+1)^2+3}[/tex] ) into the product of two terms, 1 a polynomial, and another that you can interpret as the sum of a geometric series. Then you can expand the geometric series into a sum, and multiply the polynomial into it to get the Laurent series.

Related to All Laurent series expansion around 1.

1. What is a Laurent series expansion?

A Laurent series expansion is a mathematical representation of a complex function in terms of powers of (z-1), where z is a complex variable. It is similar to a Taylor series expansion, but it also includes negative powers of (z-1) and is used to represent functions that have singularities or poles at z=1.

2. Why is the expansion centered around 1?

The expansion is centered around 1 because it is the point where the function has a singularity or pole. Expanding the function in terms of (z-1) allows for a better understanding and analysis of the behavior of the function near this point.

3. How is a Laurent series expansion calculated?

A Laurent series expansion can be calculated using the formula: f(z) = ∑(an * (z-1)^n), where n ranges from negative infinity to positive infinity. The coefficients, an, can be found using the Cauchy integral formula or by differentiating the function f(z) and evaluating it at z=1.

4. What is the difference between a Laurent series and a Taylor series?

A Taylor series expansion is used to represent a function in terms of powers of (z-a), where a is the center point of the expansion. It is used for functions that are analytic at this point. On the other hand, a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers of (z-1) and is used for functions that have singularities or poles at z=1.

5. Can a Laurent series be used to approximate a function?

Yes, a Laurent series can be used to approximate a function near the point z=1. However, the convergence of the series may be limited due to the presence of singularities or poles. In these cases, it is often necessary to use other methods, such as a Taylor series or numerical methods, to approximate the function.