Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

align* environment. beautification.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Using the align* environment I have the following output.
\begin{align*}
\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&=\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l)\neq\emptyset\\
\Rightarrow(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&=(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l),\forall i\in\{1,\ldots,r\}~~~(\text{from prop. 9})\\
\Rightarrow\varphi_i^{-1}(\sigma_i^{-1}(j))&=\varphi_i^{-1}(\tau_i^{-1}(l))\\
\Rightarrow\sigma_i^{-1}(j)&=\tau_i^{-1}(l)
\end{align*}

This looks ugly. How can I make it look better?

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Using the align* environment I have the following output.
\begin{align*}
\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&=\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l)\neq\emptyset\\
\Rightarrow(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&=(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l),\forall i\in\{1,\ldots,r\}~~~(\text{from prop. 9})\\
\Rightarrow\varphi_i^{-1}(\sigma_i^{-1}(j))&=\varphi_i^{-1}(\tau_i^{-1}(l))\\
\Rightarrow\sigma_i^{-1}(j)&=\tau_i^{-1}(l)
\end{align*}

This looks ugly. How can I make it look better?
Is this any better?

Code:
\begin{array}{rr@{\; = \;}l}
&\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l)\neq\emptyset\\
\Longrightarrow&(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l),\forall i\in\{1,\ldots,r\}~~~(\text{from prop. 9})\\
\Longrightarrow&\varphi_i^{-1}(\sigma_i^{-1}(j))&\varphi_i^{-1}(\tau_i^{-1}(l))\\
\Longrightarrow&\sigma_i^{-1}(j)&\tau_i^{-1}(l)
\end{array}
It does not compile properly here, because Mathjax does not understand the @{\; = \;} specifier in the array description, and so the = signs get left out altogether. But it looks good in TeXShop.

The best I can do using Mathjax is

Code:
\begin{array}{rrcl}
&\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&=&\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l)\neq\emptyset\\
\Longrightarrow&(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&=&(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l),\forall i\in\{1,\ldots,r\}~~~(\text{from prop. 9})\\
\Longrightarrow&\varphi_i^{-1}(\sigma_i^{-1}(j))&=&\varphi_i^{-1}(\tau_i^{-1}(l))\\
\Longrightarrow&\sigma_i^{-1}(j)&=&\tau_i^{-1}(l)
\end{array}
That compiles under Mathjax as $$\begin{array}{rrcl}
&\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&=&\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l)\neq\emptyset\\
\Longrightarrow&(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&=&(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l),\forall i\in\{1,\ldots,r\}~~~(\text{from prop. 9})\\
\Longrightarrow&\varphi_i^{-1}(\sigma_i^{-1}(j))&=&\varphi_i^{-1}(\tau_i^{-1}(l))\\
\end{array}$$

which does not look good to me because there is too much space on each side of the = signs.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Is this any better?

Code:
\begin{array}{rr@{\; = \;}l}
&\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l)\neq\emptyset\\
\Longrightarrow&(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l),\forall i\in\{1,\ldots,r\}~~~(\text{from prop. 9})\\
\Longrightarrow&\varphi_i^{-1}(\sigma_i^{-1}(j))&\varphi_i^{-1}(\tau_i^{-1}(l))\\
\Longrightarrow&\sigma_i^{-1}(j)&\tau_i^{-1}(l)
\end{array}
It does not compile properly here, because Mathjax does not understand the @{\; = \;} specifier in the array description, and so the = signs get left out altogether. But it looks good in TeXShop.

The best I can do using Mathjax is

Code:
\begin{array}{rrcl}
\end{array}
That compiles under Mathjax as $$\begin{array}{rrcl}
\end{array}$$

which does not look good to me because there is too much space on each side of the = signs.
Thank you opalg. I want to use the first script since you say its better.. but my editor ain't able to compile it because of {rr@{\; = \;}l}. I am using TeXworks. Is there some package I need to download?

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Thank you opalg. I want to use the first script since you say its better.. but my editor ain't able to compile it because of {rr@{\; = \;}l}. I am using TeXworks. Is there some package I need to download?
I don't know why some compilers fail to process the @-expression in an array environment. It is listed in the LaTeX User's Guide as a standard part of the system (see here, for example). On my Mac, the TeXShop compiler renders that code as

tex.gif

(Click on that thumbnail to see what it really looks like.)

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
I don't know why some compilers fail to process the @-expression in an array environment. It is listed in the LaTeX User's Guide as a standard part of the system (see here, for example). On my Mac, the TeXShop compiler renders that code as
Hmm.. It'd be great if we could "center" the LHS and RHS. This "inverted-triangular" shape it making it look bad. Any solution?

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Now I understand how the array environment works. Centering makes it look worse. I'll go with the same as you have in the quoted text. Thanks.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
I ran into another problem. The array environment works well when I want to manipulate my text.. but I am not able to tag my equations. \tag doesn't work. I also tried \hfill but that fails too. The only thing which seems to work is '~' but this is not practical. What can I do to label equations in the array environment?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I ran into another problem. The array environment works well when I want to manipulate my text.. but I am not able to tag my equations. \tag doesn't work. I also tried \hfill but that fails too. The only thing which seems to work is '~' but this is not practical. What can I do to label equations in the array environment?

You can pretty much tag anything if you add (below to your preamble):
Code:
\newcommand{\tagthisaux}{%                                                          
  \refstepcounter{equation}%                                                        
  (\theequation)%                                                                   
}
\newcommand{\tagthisline}{\`\tagthisaux}
Then at the end you would add:

Code:
\tagthisline
Example:
Code:
\begin{array}{ccc}
 & = & \tagthisline\\
 & = & 
\end{array}
The first line would be numbered and the second wouldn't. Additionally, the numbering convetion will follow in order to what you already have. That is, if you were on equation (1.2), that line would be (1.3).

I haven't looked at this post previously since it was marked solved. If it wasn't marked solved, I would have answered your last question sooner.

Last edited:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
I usually prefer left aligned and to columnize everything:

\begin{array}{clclll}
&\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&=&\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l)&\neq\emptyset\\
\Longrightarrow&(\sigma_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(j)&=&(\tau_i\circ\varphi_i)^{-1}(l)&\forall i\in\{1,\ldots,r\}&~~~(\text{from prop. 9})\\
\end{array}