Algorithmshark's question from Mathematics Stack Exchange

In summary, members of math.stackexchange.com have been discussing the evaluation of the infinite radical $\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{4 + \sqrt{8 + \cdots}}}}$. Various members have shown that this expression converges, but doubts have been expressed about the existence of a closed form solution. A user named algorithmshark has posted their thoughts on the question in the real analysis subforum. One approach proposed involves solving the difference equation $\displaystyle a_{n+1}= \sqrt{1+\sqrt{2}\ a_{n}},\ a_{0}=1
Nono713
Gold Member
MHB
This question was posed by algorithmshark and not yet solved on math.stackexchange.com:

Evaluate the following infinite radical:

$$\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{4 + \sqrt{8 + \cdots}}}}$$

He has posted some thoughts on his question: real analysis - Evaluating $\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{4 + \sqrt{8 + \ldots}}}}$ - Mathematics

Various members (including myself) have shown this expression converges, and a few have expressed doubts about the existence of a closed form solution, but I was curious to see what the MHB community could come up with!

EDIT: huh! An analysis subforum popped into existence a few minutes ago. Can we move this there, please?

EDIT [Ackbach]: Your wish is my command.

EDIT: Thank you!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Bacterius said:
This question was posed by algorithmshark and not yet solved on math.stackexchange.com:
He has posted some thoughts on his question: real analysis - Evaluating $\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{4 + \sqrt{8 + \ldots}}}}$ - Mathematics

Various members (including myself) have shown this expression converges, and a few have expressed doubts about the existence of a closed form solution, but I was curious to see what the MHB community could come up with!

EDIT: huh! An analysis subforum popped into existence a few minutes ago. Can we move this there, please?

EDIT [Ackbach]: Your wish is my command.

The procedure described in...

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-i-426/#post2492

... allows a comfortable solution of the problem. The expression $\displaystyle \sqrt{1+\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{4 +\sqrt{8+...}}}}$ seems to be the limit of the sequence solution of the difference equation...

$\displaystyle a_{n+1}= \sqrt{1+\sqrt{2\ a_{n}}},\ a_{0}=1$ (1)

The (1) can be written as...

$\displaystyle \Delta_{n}= a_{n+1}-a_{n} = \sqrt{1+\sqrt{2\ a_{n}}} - a_{n} = f(a_{n})$ (2)... and the function f(x) is illustrated here... https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/626._xfImport

There is only one 'attractive fixed point' in $\displaystyle x_{0} \sim 1.68377$ and pratically any initial value $a_{0}>0$ produce a sequence converging to $x_{0}$... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

As pointed out by IlikeSerena there is an error in (1) and the right solution is published in a successive post... sorry!...

Attachments

• MSP8291a56e9b16i2d7fh9000035h1acf6bd64114c.JPG
    MSP8291a56e9b16i2d7fh9000035h1acf6bd64114c.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
chisigma said:
$\displaystyle a_{n+1}= \sqrt{1+\sqrt{2\ a_{n}}},\ a_{0}=1$ (1)

Equation (1) doesn't seem to match with the sequence...

Last edited:
The procedure described in...

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-i-426/#post2492

... allows a comfortable solution of the problem. The expression $\displaystyle \sqrt{1+\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{4 +\sqrt{8+...}}}}$ is the limit of the sequence solution of the difference equation...

$\displaystyle a_{n+1}= \sqrt{1+\sqrt{2}\ a_{n}},\ a_{0}=1$ (1)

The (1) can be written as...

$\displaystyle \Delta_{n}= a_{n+1}-a_{n} = \sqrt{1+\sqrt{2}\ a_{n}} - a_{n} = f(a_{n})$ (2)... and the function f(x) is illustrated here...

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/628._xfImportThere is only one 'attractive fixed point' in $\displaystyle x_{0}= \frac{1+\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}} \sim 1.93185$ and pratically any initial value $a_{0}>0$ produce a sequence converging to $x_{0}$... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Attachments

• MSP6151a56g2a1eg40157i00000gf75e4fab5b6a8b.JPG
    MSP6151a56g2a1eg40157i00000gf75e4fab5b6a8b.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 44
Good approach chisigma, though it doesn't work because your recurrence isn't correct. It seems to produce this:

$$\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{8 + \sqrt{64 + \cdots}}}}$$

I think a similar attempt was made in the original thread, but people noted it didn't work because you couldn't make the recurrence compatible with both the doubling at each successive level and the square roots, since they don't cancel at the same rate. I could have calculated your recurrence incorrectly, though.

The actual result is around 1.783 (by computation)

Last edited:

Related to Algorithmshark's question from Mathematics Stack Exchange

1. What is the purpose of "Algorithmshark's question from Mathematics Stack Exchange"?

The purpose of "Algorithmshark's question from Mathematics Stack Exchange" is to seek help and clarification on a mathematical problem or concept from the community of mathematicians on the platform.

2. Can anyone answer "Algorithmshark's question from Mathematics Stack Exchange"?

Yes, anyone with knowledge and expertise in mathematics can answer "Algorithmshark's question from Mathematics Stack Exchange".

3. Are there any rules or guidelines for answering "Algorithmshark's question from Mathematics Stack Exchange"?

Yes, the community on Mathematics Stack Exchange follows strict guidelines and rules for answering questions. These guidelines include providing detailed explanations, using proper formatting and notation, and citing sources if necessary.

4. How long does it take to get a response to "Algorithmshark's question from Mathematics Stack Exchange"?

The response time for "Algorithmshark's question from Mathematics Stack Exchange" varies depending on the complexity of the question and the availability of knowledgeable users on the platform. However, most questions receive a response within a few hours.

5. Can I ask follow-up questions on "Algorithmshark's question from Mathematics Stack Exchange"?

Yes, follow-up questions are allowed on Mathematics Stack Exchange. However, it is recommended to ask a separate question for each follow-up question to keep the discussion organized and focused.