Showing a simple function is continuous on a restricted domain

In summary: Since the F_{i}'s are disjoint, for every x\in E_{i}, there is a unique y\in F_{i} such that x\in y. This implies that y is in the set {x:x\in E_{i}} and so x is in the set {y:y\in F_{i}}. This establishes the inclusion of y in the F_{i}'s.
kalish1
**Motivation:** I am studying for an exam over Chapters $1-3$ of *Real Analysis* by Royden and Fitzpatrick, 4th edition. I am stuck on understanding some of Proposition $11$, which I have reproduced below:

**Proposition 11:** Let $f$ be a simple function defined on $E.$ Then for each $\varepsilon>0$, there is a continuous function $g$ on $\mathbb{R}$ and a closed set $F$ contained in $E$ for which $f=g$ on $F$ and $m(E-F)<\varepsilon.$

**Proof:** Let $a_1,a_2,\ldots, a_n$ be the finite number of distinct values taken by $f$, and let them be taken on the sets $E_1, E_2, \ldots, E_n,$ respectively. The collection $\{E_k\}_{k=1}^{n}$ is disjoint since the $a_k$'s are distinct. According to Theorem $11$ of Chapter $2$, we may choose closed sets $F_1, F_2, \ldots, F_n$ such that for each index $k, 1\leq k \leq n,$ $F_k \subseteq E_k$ and $m(E_k-F_k)<\varepsilon/n.$ Define $g$ on $F$ to take the value $a_k$ on $F_k$ for $1 \leq k \leq n.$ Since the collection $\{F_k\}_{k=1}^{n}$ is disjoint, $g$ is properly defined.

Moreover, $g$ is continuous on $F$ since for a point $x \in F_i,$ there is an open interval containing $x$ which is disjoint from the closed set $\cup_{k \neq i} F_k$ and hence on the intersection of this interval with $F$ the function $g$ is constant.

But $g$ can be extended from a continuous function on the closed set $F$ to a continuous function on all of $\mathbb{R}.$ The continuous function $g$ on $\mathbb{R}$ has the required approximation properties.

**Question:** Please explain rigorously why the "grey" area is true?

I have crossposted this question on MSE: real analysis - Showing a simple function is continuous on a restricted domain - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kalish,

The \(\displaystyle F_{i}\)'s are disjoint because they are subsets of the \(\displaystyle E_{i}\)'s. So, for example, if \(\displaystyle x\in F_{j},\), then \(\displaystyle x\notin\cup_{i\neq j}F_{i}.\) Since the union of finitely many closed sets is closed, it follows that \(\displaystyle x\) is a point not in the closed set \(\displaystyle \cup_{i\neq j}F_{i}.\) With this hint can you see why such an open interval must exist?

Related to Showing a simple function is continuous on a restricted domain

What is a simple function?

A simple function is a mathematical function that maps one input to one output. It can be expressed as a formula or equation and typically involves basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is continuous if there are no abrupt changes or jumps in its graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting your pencil off the paper. In other words, the value of the function at any point can be determined by looking at the values around it.

Why is it important to show that a function is continuous on a restricted domain?

It is important to show that a function is continuous on a restricted domain because it allows us to accurately analyze the behavior of the function in a specific region. This can be helpful in solving real-world problems and making predictions based on the function's behavior.

What is a restricted domain?

A restricted domain is a specific set of values for the independent variable (usually denoted by x) for which the function is defined. It is usually denoted by an interval or a combination of intervals, and it can be different from the domain of the function as a whole.

How do you show that a function is continuous on a restricted domain?

To show that a function is continuous on a restricted domain, you need to prove that the function satisfies the three conditions for continuity: it is defined at the point, its limit exists at the point, and the limit is equal to the value of the function at the point. This can be done using algebraic manipulations, theorems, and the definition of continuity.