Algerbraic logarithm method question

In summary, the conversation discusses a set of equations with a given assumption, and a request for a non-logarithmic method to solve them efficiently. The method of using logarithms is suggested and demonstrated in detail for a similar set of equations. The conversation also touches upon the importance of considering all possible solutions, including those with negative values, and the potential for solutions when the bases of the equations are equal to 1.
Cosmicon
First of all, greetings to the scientific community here at Physics Forums.

The following set of equations is given:
y^(x-3y) = x^2
x^(x-3y) = y^8

With the next assumption given: x-3y is unequal to (-4).

My attempt was to isolate the y variable in both of the equations so that i will be able to divide the the equations and receive a simple x^a = b equations. This did not help, because the powers of the x's included the y, with no option to get rid of it.

I Would like your assistance with finding the shortest, most efficient, non-logarithmic way to solve this question, asap.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why haven't you taken the logarithm of the equations? Isn't that the method you said you were asking about in the title?

Hurkyl said:
Why haven't you taken the logarithm of the equations? Isn't that the method you said you were asking about in the title?

You are right it is a possibility. I did not fully mention my request here in the topic.
I am searching for an additional method to logarithm, by modifying the powers in the two equations.

Just tackled with another question with great similarity:

x^(2x+y) = y^4
y^(2x+y) = x^16

I noticed the identity of the powers in the left sides of the equations, but even after immediatly deviding the two equations, I get stuck.

What would be the most efficient way to solve this with no log?

Last edited:
It is the method of logarithm, you just don't write log ...

[itex] x^{(2x+y)^2} = y^{4(2x+y)} = x^{16\cdot 4} = x^{64}[/itex]. Therefore [itex] (2x+y)^2 = 64[/itex] (that's where we really did logarithms without mentioning the word), so assuming [itex] x>0, y>0[/itex] we have [itex] 2x+y=8[/itex]. Then [itex] x^8 = y^4[/itex] so [itex] x^2=y[/itex]. Substitute in the equation: [itex]2x+x^2=8 [/itex] then solve the quadratic equation. The only positive solution is [itex]x=2[/itex] so then [itex]y=4[/itex].

I assumed x and y are positive so that irrational exponents would be defined. But to solve for integer solutions, you could allow negative x,y since integer powers still make sense.

edgar, using which formula did you make this calculation:

[itex]
x^{(2x+y)^2} = y^{4(2x+y)} = x^{16\cdot 4} = x^{64}
[/itex]

Cosmicon said:
edgar, using which formula did you make this calculation:

[itex]
x^{(2x+y)^2} = y^{4(2x+y)} = x^{16\cdot 4} = x^{64}
[/itex]

Start with [itex] x^{(2x+y)} = y^{4}[/itex], raise both sides to power [itex] 2x+y[/itex] , get [itex] x^{(2x+y)^2} = y^{4(2x+y)} [/itex].
Start with [itex] y^{(2x+y)} = x^{16}[/itex], raise both sides to the power [itex] 4[/itex] , get [itex] y^{4(2x+y)} = x^{16\cdot 4}[/itex] .
OK?

g_edgar said:
Start with [itex] x^{(2x+y)} = y^{4}[/itex], raise both sides to power [itex] 2x+y[/itex] , get [itex] x^{(2x+y)^2} = y^{4(2x+y)} [/itex].
Start with [itex] y^{(2x+y)} = x^{16}[/itex], raise both sides to the power [itex] 4[/itex] , get [itex] y^{4(2x+y)} = x^{16\cdot 4}[/itex] .
OK?

yes, I now understand this technique. very useful and widespread in problems involving equations.

*According to this, when solving the quadratic equation, two answers apply: x=2, and x=-4.
why is x=-4 (y=16) not valid in this case?

** It is also important to mention that another solution in this form of questions:
when the two bases are equal to 1, the powers can be placed with any suggested number.
Therefore: when x=1, y=1.

Last edited:

Related to Algerbraic logarithm method question

1. What is the algebraic logarithm method?

The algebraic logarithm method is a mathematical approach used to solve equations involving logarithms. It involves using logarithm rules and properties to simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

2. When is the algebraic logarithm method used?

This method is used when an equation contains both a variable and a logarithm, and the goal is to solve for the variable. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

3. How does the algebraic logarithm method work?

The method involves using logarithm rules to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. This may involve combining logarithms, using the power rule, or using the logarithm of a product or quotient rule. Once the equation is simplified, the variable can be isolated and solved for.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the algebraic logarithm method?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the logarithm rules correctly. It is important to understand the properties of logarithms and how they can be used to simplify equations. Another mistake is forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, which can occur when taking the logarithm of both sides of an equation.

5. Are there any alternative methods to solve equations with logarithms?

Yes, there are other methods such as the graphical method, which involves graphing both sides of the equation and finding the points of intersection. Another method is the trial and error method, where different values are plugged in for the variable until the equation is satisfied. However, the algebraic logarithm method is the most commonly used and efficient method for solving equations with logarithms.