Algebraic Topology - Inclusion into RP^2

In summary, we can define an inclusion map i from S^1 to RP^2 as the composite of two other inclusion maps: j from S^1 to the Mobius band and k from the Mobius band to RP^2. This induced map i* is not the zero element, as shown by choosing a generator of Z and showing that its image is a nontrivial element in Z/2Z.
kreewser

Homework Statement

Find an inclusion map i from S^1 to RP^2 such that the induced map of the inclusion (by the fundamental group) is not the zero element.

Known:
pi_1(S^1) = Z and pi_1(RP^2) = Z/2Z

Homework Equations

Can we define i as a composite of two other inclusions?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using that fact that we can regard RP^2= D^2 V Mobius (i.e. as a Wedge Sum over the outer the edge circle of the Mobius band) and try to use a commutative diagram with an inclusion map j from S^1 to Mobius, then an inclusion k from the Mobius band to RP^2 and take the composite i=j(k). Is this valid? (For example, for the induced map j*, can there be j*:Z to Z/2Z ?) .This may be trivial, I don't know...

(I am sorry in advance if I have posted this in the wrong forum page)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question and for your attempt at a solution. You are on the right track with your approach. Let's break it down step by step.

First, as you mentioned, we can regard RP^2 as a wedge sum of D^2 and the Mobius band, which we can denote as RP^2 = D^2 V Mobius. This means that we can define an inclusion map k from the Mobius band to RP^2.

Next, we can define an inclusion map j from S^1 to the Mobius band. This is because S^1 is the boundary of the disk D^2, and the boundary of the Mobius band is also S^1.

Now, we can define the composite inclusion map i = j(k) from S^1 to RP^2. This means that i is the inclusion of S^1 into the Mobius band, followed by the inclusion of the Mobius band into RP^2.

To show that this induced map is not the zero element, we need to show that the induced map i* from pi_1(S^1) to pi_1(RP^2) is not the trivial homomorphism. This can be done by showing that there exists a nontrivial element in pi_1(S^1) that maps to a nontrivial element in pi_1(RP^2).

We know that pi_1(S^1) = Z, and pi_1(RP^2) = Z/2Z. This means that the induced map i* can be represented as i*: Z to Z/2Z. We can choose a generator of Z, say 1, and show that i*(1) is a nontrivial element in Z/2Z. This can be done by noting that i*(1) is the image of a nontrivial loop in S^1, which is the boundary of the disk D^2. This nontrivial loop can be chosen to be the boundary of the disk D^2 itself, which maps to the nontrivial loop in RP^2.

Therefore, the induced map i* is not the trivial homomorphism, and thus i is the inclusion map from S^1 to RP^2 with the desired property.

I hope this helps clarify your approach and shows that it is indeed valid. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Algebraic Topology - Inclusion into RP^2

1. What is Algebraic Topology?

Algebraic Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects using algebraic tools. It is concerned with understanding the topological structure of spaces and how it can be described using algebraic invariants.

2. What is Inclusion into RP^2?

Inclusion into RP^2 refers to the process of embedding a topological space into the real projective plane, also known as RP^2. This embedding is based on the fundamental concept of quotient spaces in algebraic topology.

3. How is Algebraic Topology used in real-world applications?

Algebraic Topology has various applications in fields such as physics, computer science, economics, and engineering. It is used to study and understand the properties of networks, data analysis, and shape recognition, among others.

4. What is the significance of RP^2 in Algebraic Topology?

RP^2 is a fundamental space in Algebraic Topology that is used to classify and understand the topology of surfaces. It is a two-dimensional projective space that is crucial in studying the topology of three-dimensional spaces.

5. Are there any prerequisites for understanding Algebraic Topology - Inclusion into RP^2?

Algebraic Topology and Inclusion into RP^2 are advanced topics in mathematics, so a strong foundation in basic algebra, topology, and abstract algebra is required to understand them. Familiarity with concepts such as quotient spaces, homotopy, and homology is also helpful.