Algebraic Topology: Fundamental group of a cube

In summary, the fundamental group of the 1-skeleton of the 3-cube I^{3} is the free group F_{8} generated by the 8 edges of the cube, and the fundamental group of the 1-skeleton of the 4-cube I^{4} is the free group F_{24} generated by the 24 edges of the cube. This can be computed by choosing a point in the 1-skeleton and considering the homotopy classes of loops based at that point.
math8
How do you compute the Fundamental group of the 1-skeleton of the 3-cube [tex]I^{3}[/tex] = [tex][0,1]^{3}[/tex] ? What about the Fundamental group of the 1- skeleton of the 4-cube [tex]I^{4}[/tex] ?

I know the Fundamental group of a space X at a point [tex]x_{0}[/tex] is the set of homotopy classes of loops of X based at [tex]x_{0}[/tex] . And that the 1-skeleton of a space X is the union of all cells of the CW complex for X up to dimension 1. But how do you find the fundamental group of the 1 skeleton for those cubes?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the 3-cube I^{3}, the 1-skeleton consists of all points and edges of the cube. The fundamental group of this space can be computed as follows:Let x_{0} be a point in the 1-skeleton. Then the fundamental group of the 1-skeleton of the 3-cube at x_{0} is the free group generated by the 8 edges that form the cube. Thus, the fundamental group of the 1-skeleton of the 3-cube is F_{8}.For the 4-cube I^{4}, the 1-skeleton consists of all points and edges of the cube. The fundamental group of this space can be computed as follows:Let x_{0} be a point in the 1-skeleton. Then the fundamental group of the 1-skeleton of the 4-cube at x_{0} is the free group generated by the 24 edges that form the cube. Thus, the fundamental group of the 1-skeleton of the 4-cube is F_{24}.

Related to Algebraic Topology: Fundamental group of a cube

1. What is algebraic topology?

Algebraic topology is a branch of mathematics that combines the techniques of abstract algebra and topology to study the properties of spaces and their transformations.

2. What is the fundamental group of a cube?

The fundamental group of a cube is a mathematical concept that describes the possible ways to continuously deform a cube into a point without tearing or gluing any of its parts. It is denoted by π1(C), where C is the cube.

3. How is the fundamental group of a cube calculated?

The fundamental group of a cube can be calculated using the Seifert-van Kampen theorem, which states that the fundamental group of a space can be obtained by considering the fundamental groups of its subspaces and their intersections. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the concept of covering spaces.

4. What is the significance of the fundamental group of a cube in algebraic topology?

The fundamental group is an important topological invariant that can be used to distinguish between different spaces. In algebraic topology, it is used to study the topological properties of a space by examining how its fundamental group changes under different transformations.

5. Can the fundamental group of a cube be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of the fundamental group can be extended to any dimension. In fact, algebraic topology studies fundamental groups of spaces in higher dimensions, such as the fundamental group of a sphere or a torus. However, the calculation of the fundamental group becomes more complex as the dimension increases.